Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Towing, Hitching and Tow Vehicles Discussions about tow vehicles, tow systems, hitching, leveling, jacks and more.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #1

Default Vans (?)

Last week I drove a friend to a dealership a couple hours north of us where he purchased a used 2012 CHEVY 3500 van with only 7K on it for right around 20,000. It was one of those 12 passenger configurations they use for hauling people back and forth to hotels or baseball teams etc. He has a Casita and got it for puling that and camping with his wife and very large Golden retriever. The seats can be removed quite easily by unlatching and sliding a pin at which point you are left with a very large carpeted van with tinted windows and relatively comfortable driver and co-pilot seating, cd player, etc. Double doors on the back for hauling other stuff (like your mother-in-laws furniture) . It comes with a decent sized tranny cooler and is clearly set up for hauling heavy loads. He is buying a hitch from etrailers and a wiring harness-but then he is pretty well good to go. As much as I love my pick-up trucks over the years, I must admit that, aside form four wheel drive- this seems like a very good idea for a capable camping/tow vehicle that can be had pretty economically. These things are out there coming off leases or rentals with lots of warranty left on them and I'm surprised they aren't utilized more often . I must admit- I am sorely tempted. Anybody have experience with van living and towing? His computer was reading 19mpg coming home on the interstate and though I don't put much faith in those computers until they have been verified with a number of fill-ups,and he was driving with NO LOAD.....thats not bad.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #2

We used a Hi-top conversion van a time oe two. It wasn't an extended van, so it was tight. Thought about one of those Transit vans (don't know if that is what you are talking about) but bought a Hilo instead, since we already had the pickup, and did't need another motor (engine) sitting needing to be taken care of. But this sounds like it could be a Class B in the making :-)

Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
sam

Default Vans

Any interested in converting a van into a custom camper might want to check out this website. www.irv2.com. Go to forums and try vintage or a seperate group for van conversions.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #4

Actually I was thinking of it as a real handy tow vehicle. 3500 gets you lots of tow capacity and gvwr. Lots of space inside when the seats are out. Basically a cargo van with windows and some wall covering and priced economically compared to what an suv or truck would cost with those kinds of milles on it.

4x4
Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

I tow with an 01 GMC Savana, it is only a half ton but it gets the job done. I put my motorcycle in it along with my wife and dog. My kids aren't into camping that much these days (teens). Tow the HiLo with my 16' canoe on top. ya can't go wrong with a van they are the most versatile utility vehicles IMO.
Luke 1:49
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #6

That's what I'm talking about. Hard to beat a trip with a motorcycle, wife, dog and a canoe. .

4x4
Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #7

A couple of images of my rig in action for your enjoyment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0307.jpg (92.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000580.jpg (98.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Stretched out over two sites.jpg (87.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00044.jpg (98.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg WP_001858.jpg (59.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-13-2013, 07:08 AM   #8

Default Where?

Where is that campground? The pictures look nice.
Rusted Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

When considering any vehicle for towing, you should check the actual tow rating for that vehicle.
The same vehicles tow rating can vary by several thousands of pounds, depending on engine size, rear axle ratio and factory installed tow package. The vehicle might be rated to tow 5,000 lbs but with a different engine and axle ratio and heavy duty tow package it could be rated at over 10,000 lbs.
Point is check tow rating before buying a tow vehicle.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusted Tongue View Post
Where is that campground? The pictures look nice.
They are actually each different, the first is at Mountain Creek in Gardners PA. The next is at Kentuck knob in Ohiopyle, Pa. Next is at Mirror Lake in Bolivar, PA. they stock that stream with trout and there is a pay lake there as well. After that is Pymatuning State Park. Last is Keystone State Park.