Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hi-Lo Photo Album Post your Hi-Lo pictures here.. Show us what ya got or seen, we love looking at them!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #1

Question 1965 hi-lo 500 identify interior

I just bought a 1965 HI-Lo 500 and found a stack of wood in the front corner that actually made a small closet. I thought it was homemade at first but now I see the screws and nails seem to be the correct time period. It is also made from the correct wood for the interior. My question: Has anyone seen this setup before? Also I have poles and a canvas hammock but cant see where they would mount except in a storage rack above in the back. Where would the wider wood racks get set up to use the Hammock? I have included pics. The camper seems all original with all the parts including awning cushions etc. any help would be appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00050.jpg (29.0 KB, 255 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00054.jpg (24.1 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00058.jpg (30.5 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00063.jpg (29.5 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00044.jpg (25.6 KB, 212 views)

vintagecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #2

Default 65 hi-lo

here are more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00061.jpg (34.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00067.jpg (33.8 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00069.jpg (35.9 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00070.jpg (28.8 KB, 167 views)

Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #3

Modern day hi Lo s have a wardrobe and those pictures certainly look like an early incarnation of one. Cool trailer!

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagecamper View Post
I just bought a 1965 HI-Lo 500 and found a stack of wood in the front corner that actually made a small closet. I thought it was homemade at first but now I see the screws and nails seem to be the correct time period. It is also made from the correct wood for the interior. My question: Has anyone seen this setup before? Also I have poles and a canvas hammock but cant see where they would mount except in a storage rack above in the back. Where would the wider wood racks get set up to use the Hammock? I have included pics. The camper seems all original with all the parts including awning cushions etc. any help would be appreciated
Vntagecamper,

I have not seen that before. Is there some reason that it must be put together after you reach your destination? Will the top not come down when it is erected? Congrats on a finding a vintage Hi Lo.

Jerry Curtis
Fredericksburg, TX
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #5

Default re 1965 Hi-Lo

The cabinet does not interfere with the top going up or down. It seems to be more a matter of wanting space to take it down or put it up. It assembles with slots and pins in minutes (once you figure out how they go together). It really seems Homemade except everything matches so well. It would have had to be done about the time the camper was made. The bigger question for me now is the canvas hammock. I have 2 boards as seen on the table that the poles would go into but where would you put these boards?
thanks again
Old 07-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #6

Default Neat

That's a really neat early hilo. Enjoy

Later Tim & Nancy
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #7

Default Interior

Did you figure out how the hammock works? My trailer is identical to yours. I am presently refurbishing it. The closet arrangement in the corner is where a seat is located in mine. Presently, the cabinets where the galley would be are missing (the previous owner removed them). Could you provide or post a couple of pictures of the galley? That would be great. And if you've figured out how the hammock installed, I'd welcome any information as I would like to replicate it. Thanks!
DonShipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
sam

Default 65 HiLo

Cool HiLo! Just a guess on my part. Maybe the hammock installs close to the ceiling as additional sleeping space? Some of our Hilos come with a bunk bed that swings down from the ceiling. Others have no bunk but contain additional cupboards in the same spot.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #9

Default Bunk/Cot

What concerns me is the weight/burden on the vintage/weary cables if the bunk/hammock boards were affixed to the upper sides. The posted owner's manuals provide no help in sorting this out. Perhaps more details will emerge...
Old 10-31-2013, 11:54 PM   #10

Default Bunk/Hammock Design

You mentioned you have the hammock poles. Are they wood? What diameter are they? Length? And what is the distance between the two pole holders on the board (you photographed them on the table)? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #11

I have a 1965 Hilo as well. I have seen several variations on the interior. More than likely there were multiple interior layouts for this model. Mine also has a cabinet in that corner but it is only half as tall as yours and is just empty space. I was thinking of putting a porta-potty in there.
Scatershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonShipley View Post
What concerns me is the weight/burden on the vintage/weary cables if the bunk/hammock boards were affixed to the upper sides. The posted owner's manuals provide no help in sorting this out. Perhaps more details will emerge...
I agree with your concern about strain on the cables. I plan to use 2x4 bracers on the ouside of the cabin just under the 'lip' to ease the strain while it set up for camping. Perhaps this might help ease the burden if you try to use the hammock option. I have heard that some of the models did include a hammock.
Scatershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #13

Again, I know this is an old post, but I am going to answer the bunk question in case someone in the future needs it. The boards with the bunk mounts go between the wall and metal clips that are mounted to the lower half of the frame. I wish I had a picture to help.

MossyOakLane is offline   Reply With Quote