Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hi-Lo Photo Album Post your Hi-Lo pictures here.. Show us what ya got or seen, we love looking at them!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:19 AM   #1

Default New (to me) 2002 23'

Finally got some quality photos of the 23'er that my wife and i bought. Took these during our trip this past weekend at Kokosing Camp and Canoe near Millwood, Ohio. No sewer hook up, but for just the weekend it was no big deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0452[1].jpg (95.5 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0453[1].jpg (93.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0455[1].jpg (99.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0454[1].jpg (99.9 KB, 94 views)

JTRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTRB View Post
Finally got some quality photos of the 23'er that my wife and i bought. Took these during our trip this past weekend at Kokosing Camp and Canoe near Millwood, Ohio. No sewer hook up, but for just the weekend it was no big deal.
Nice looking rig. This is just a suggestion, but when I put my awning out, I deliberately have the side away from the door about "2 clicks" lower than the door side. This helps rainwater runoff that would otherwise "pool" in the middle of the awning, (where it naturally "sags") and it can become quite heavy, possibly to the point of causing damage.

- Jack

Old 10-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #3

Thanks Jack. I'll try to remember that the next time I have it out. Looking at putting it away for the winter for now but it will get a lot of use next year.

Jim
Old 10-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Nice looking rig. This is just a suggestion, but when I put my awning out, I deliberately have the side away from the door about "2 clicks" lower than the door side. This helps rainwater runoff that would otherwise "pool" in the middle of the awning, (where it naturally "sags") and it can become quite heavy, possibly to the point of causing damage.

- Jack
We don't have that problem here in sunny California.

I did notice on our trip that some folks had tied down the corners of their awnings due to wind, I guess.
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Congratulations on your new rig. What is your TV? I could not make that out in the pic.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

Garry,
It's a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander. Didn't purchase the towing package when I bought it, but it had all the necessary connections just in case, including the transmission cooler. Just had to have a Class III hitch installed. First time hauling didn't have a WDH and it sure sagged. Bought the EAZ-LIFT WDH and it certainly makes a difference.

Wife and I will probably purchase a bigger rig when we start hauling it regularly, but for now it gets the job done pretty well. She really liked the looks of the Dodge 2500 she saw in a commercial just last night, especially the highway mileage.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Garry,
It's a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander. Didn't purchase the towing package when I bought it, but it had all the necessary connections just in case, including the transmission cooler. Just had to have a Class III hitch installed. First time hauling didn't have a WDH and it sure sagged. Bought the EAZ-LIFT WDH and it certainly makes a difference.

Wife and I will probably purchase a bigger rig when we start hauling it regularly, but for now it gets the job done pretty well. She really liked the looks of the Dodge 2500 she saw in a commercial just last night, especially the highway mileage.
Yes, A DWH makes all the difference in the world and glad to hear your TV worked out okay. In the mid 90's I tried to buy a used 24 ft Hi-Lo but the dealer wouldn't sell it to me as my '94 4-Runner was not rated for the trailer, hence my question to you on your TV.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckydog671 View Post
We don't have that problem here in sunny California.

I did notice on our trip that some folks had tied down the corners of their awnings due to wind, I guess.
When I lived in CA my worry was usually wind, especially in the desert. I often tied down the corners of the awning. I also used some straps that kept the awning fabric from flapping in the wind:
http://www.camco.net/assets/images/p...2243_inuse.png

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #9

The previous owners never used the awning as when they first bought it there wasn't one so they had it installed after, then they stopped going camping. When we first rolled it out a couple weeks ago you could tell that they didn't keep a cover on it because the mildew, but also the inside corner above the door was ripped about a foot into the fabric. We're going to try replacing the awning in the spring before we start using it a lot.

My son is a competitive trapshooter so we'll be making a lot of trips with it to his different competitions next year.

Jim

2302LXS
2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Old 10-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
The previous owners never used the awning as when they first bought it there wasn't one so they had it installed after, then they stopped going camping. When we first rolled it out a couple weeks ago you could tell that they didn't keep a cover on it because the mildew, but also the inside corner above the door was ripped about a foot into the fabric. We're going to try replacing the awning in the spring before we start using it a lot.

My son is a competitive trapshooter so we'll be making a lot of trips with it to his different competitions next year.

Jim

2302LXS
2007 Mitsubishi Outlander

Keep in mind that you can get replacement awning fabric, sized and ready to install. Check the RV supply places.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
sam

Default getting a new awning

The mildew should come of with a good cleaning. Use an awning cleaner(Walmart). If need be use your favorite cleaner and MR. Clean magic sponges. Let dry and then apply a product to both sides like son of a gun or armoral. What ever is cheapest. Try Mr. clean Magic erasers. New awnings are very expensive. Try finding a you Tube on how to remove the fabric. Then take it to a canvas/awning/boat repair place. Provided the rest of the fabric is in good shape. Hope this saves you some money.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:03 PM   #12
sam

Default awning cleaning

Just another thought. Follow all directions on the cleaning product label. Do a test spot if necessary. Let the cleaner sit on the awning long enough to work. I tend to want to wipe the cleaner up to soon.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #13

Hi
Since you have a 2002, 23 footer, I wondered if your's was the LX model with the Expand-a-Room option, of a tilt out. If so, any pros or cons you've noted with that tilt out?
Cordially,
Go Camp
GoCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #14

It is the LX model with the tilt out couch. So far it has worked out great. My two sons share the bed at night and my oldest just turned 17 and is as big as me (5' 10", 220lbs) and he sleeps on the outside near the window.

I did discover while closing up the camper the first time that the board used for the slide out will fall onto the floor when I start tilting the couch back in. That was solved by putting a screw through the back of the board underneath the cushions prior to pulling the couch in. That kept the board from dropping out and putting dents into the floor. We have a runner carpet directly under the couch to protect the floor as well.

My next big thing is to figure out why the water heater isn't lighting. I had the camper into a shop to get it winterized and they looked at it for me. Told me it was the thermostat assembly. I'm not going to worry about it until I get ready to take it back out next spring though. Hopefully I'll still be able to get the assembly then.

2302LXS
2015 Toyota Highlander Limited
Old 11-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #15

Default Considerations of the tip-out

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCamp View Post
Hi
Since you have a 2002, 23 footer, I wondered if your's was the LX model with the Expand-a-Room option, of a tilt out. If so, any pros or cons you've noted with that tilt out?
Cordially,
Go Camp
Hi GoCamp,

We have the tip-out on out 24 footer. On a positive note, the tip-out sofa really opens up the living space while camped. With that, there are some things to consider:

It adds more weight to the trailer. I've heard it's around 600-700 pounds but not positive on that.

It adds one more step to do when setting up or breaking camp.

On my model, it limits access to the back end of the trailer if you want to get back there while on the road. If you wanted to stop for a break, you not only have to raise the top half but have to deploy the tip-out as well (another step).

You need to clear any items in front of the sofa, and also ensure lower cabinet doors and drawers are closed before deploying or retracting the tip-out.

Hope this helps,
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #16

Jim, on your water heater problem, remember that all these trailers, RV's motor homes etc all use pretty much the same parts, appliances electronics and so forth. That water heater probably is in half a million units. IThe parts for it will be available for a long time to come.

2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote