Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hi-Lo Photo Album Post your Hi-Lo pictures here.. Show us what ya got or seen, we love looking at them!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32
Default Posting pictures

I am going to post up some 5th wheel pictures, that I have found on the net. This weekend I'll have mine out to take pictures, and go to an event. Enjoy, if this works....

this is a supposed 89 model? The design is awesome to me, except you have to lift to open the door, it looks like.

[Pleas note THIS IS NOT MINE, I found images a while back while surfing google. in case the owner ever cleans off the website was old posts, I saved the pictures for posterity.]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC120102.jpg (71.8 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg PC120027.jpg (60.4 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg PC120099.jpg (58.9 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg PC120100.jpg (100.4 KB, 328 views)

Old 10-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #2

Default Tried to make my own "album" and fail...

Here are 3 fuzzy shots (done with cellphone) (I'll get camera back see if they came out better this week)

of My '95, 5th wheel, Toy Hauler

I know they are fuzzy, cell phone lense "cover" of the case is scratched, so I will redo.

BTW, I got the camera out to take pictures, dont have them on this PC.

In my profile I created an Album, of course I cannot add pictures, go figure. Ill put the good shots there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0035.jpg (92.5 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0034.jpg (94.5 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0036.jpg (103.3 KB, 219 views)

Old 10-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

Sweet rig!
Did you just buy it? I think I saw this or one like it for sale earlier this summer.
How does the "toy hauler" part work. can you put a motorcycle in it with the top down? Or can you travel with that one up?.....
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannooch View Post
Sweet rig!
Did you just buy it? I think I saw this or one like it for sale earlier this summer.
How does the "toy hauler" part work. can you put a motorcycle in it with the top down? Or can you travel with that one up?.....
Have to put it up to load (just like you would all the other camping stuff, my 3 bikes fit in fine, about 5-8 inches to spare above them. Yep it was in Florida.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #5

I know it's been a couple of months since anyone has posted but I had to comment. I like the way the one you found on the web tilts, kinda cool. Your toy hauler is very cool, how much room do you have in the "garage" to hold stuff? It is a cool idea. I have seen a Tow Lite 5th wheel in Mulvane, not far from me, it looks like it hasn't been used in a while.
GWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #6

Lightbulb

Wowsa, I fall behind in the reply dept.

THere are 3 OUTSIDE pics where It is stored, in "my ALBUM" now.
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/memb...wheel-hilo-95/ I hope this link will take you too them, if not I'll post those 3 in here. (someone let me know please?)

its been a cold well diggers butt around here, so it will be spring I am sure now, before I get it out again. it is too close to the Sahara Safari of my pops to get inside and take pics right now.

Getting married in Feb, you'd think I enjoy Cold weather, but I dont hate it, lol.

As far as the toybox goes, the original owner had HILO service shop (which I believe is now where J&R is) retrofit it in 2002 moving the bathroom to both sides of the aisle farther forward instead of on back wall. It was "probably" so they could haul 4 wheelers, 2 at most. My "trials" motorcycles are slightly (maybe 3 inches at max) lower than most MX type bikes? I can haul 4 of mine though, 3 easily, and there seems to be about 16 inches clearance above the bikes when in place. I place the bikes diagonally in there so I can still get in and out the door easily enough and have room for all the gear as well around the bikes.

I got to get my Fridge repaired, I had the generator fixed which almost broke me, lol! plans was to get fridge about now (tax refund) but instead is going to wedding and honeymoon, if ya know what I mean.

Enjoy.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #7

(save this space for more pictures in the future as well.)
Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWolfe View Post
I know it's been a couple of months since anyone has posted but I had to comment. I like the way the one you found on the web tilts, kinda cool. Your toy hauler is very cool, how much room do you have in the "garage" to hold stuff? It is a cool idea. I have seen a Tow Lite 5th wheel in Mulvane, not far from me, it looks like it hasn't been used in a while.
Talking about the hinged one...
I see only ONE reason (other than it being a 5th wheel and needing definitely a decent pickup and $600 or more worth of hitch equipment, which we already had) for these to not be a super successfull design: It looks to me that you cant even open the door on it, when folded... but the resto of the way it was designed where the top front isnt 16ft high when traveling, would be a godsend. Oh and it is a godsend, mines a little more lower overall by my calculations when folded, pulls easier than my 8ft long 7ft (on the inside) tall vnose featherlight trailer, if you ask me and the mileage calculator in the 02 cummings powered 1ton Dodge we pul them both with... lol
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #9

Sting,

Your rig looks like its in prime condition! Totally unique alteration to the Hi-Lo design! Hi-Lo should have tried marketing the "toybox," idea. Might have changed their destiny.

Just curious, when your 5th wheel is hitched up, about how much higher is the top, compared to the truck's cab roof?

Also, when you finally take it out of storage and are getting ready to use it this spring (or whenever), I'd REALLY like to see a photo of the inside of the toybox, and perhaps another shot of the back doors when open.

Thanks,
Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDoering View Post
Sting,

Your rig looks like its in prime condition! Totally unique alteration to the Hi-Lo design! Hi-Lo should have tried marketing the "toybox," idea. Might have changed their destiny.

Just curious, when your 5th wheel is hitched up, about how much higher is the top, compared to the truck's cab roof?

Also, when you finally take it out of storage and are getting ready to use it this spring (or whenever), I'd REALLY like to see a photo of the inside of the toybox, and perhaps another shot of the back doors when open.

Thanks,
Jim
I plan to take them pictures, glad you are interested at looking, I think the whole setup is SWEET.

BTW, that day I got the "fuzzy" shot with my cell, as I lowered the top, (I was gonna run in and get the camera) well, the pully that is the 1st one (attached to the hydraulic cylinder) for the right rear lift corner, broke (exploded while less than 1/2 way down. then I was in a panic. I was supposed to be on my way by noon, for a meet. I got lucky found a pully I could put in temporary took couple hours by the time I hunted all over the hardware store and an Agriculture tractor dealers parts, then changed it out.

Told the soon to be wife, be sure to take some pictures, when at the meet, she took 3, all from the front right side, lol (you cant tell it was a toybox.)

As you might guess, the folded down top is still sticking above the pickup, about as much as a slide in camper does, give or take a brand's heights. as you know you dont situp in bed in those campers either, lol. so I would say 3 to 3.5 ft? (from my memory last time hooked up) if you see 5th wheelers much, or can picture them, dad's last camper you can stand up in bedroom, so it had to be sticking up 6ft above the cab of the pickup.

IN this camper of mine, you can't standup, when top is up either. you can definitely sit all the way up in bed (least I can with room to spare). Bed is about 6 inches off floor up there, and bed lifts on a hinge with hatchback shocks, which give decent amount of storage. So, I didnt measure it yet, or if I did I cant recall, lol. I'm guessing there is probably 5 ft max height from floor to ceiling, at that high point of the front, you see in pic, when top raised and you are camping. I have laid on the {queen bed} with the top down as well, then it is much like the over the cab bed in a slide in camper, you cant sit up but it is doable. I did that cause I wanted to know if something broke and top fell down while sleeping if we'd be dead, lol. relieved to say, it wont hit ya by at least a foot...
Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #11

Well as if you didnt notice I got back from Honeymoon monday, and did some posts. Well, I thought I would mention, we left on friday, and apparently forgot the old camera, that I can never seem to track down anyway, lol! So of course went to wallyworld, and bought a new one. WOW, I paid less than 100 for this pocket size casio, love the heck out of it, works faster and at least 5 times better than my 5 year old $400 Kodak full body type camera...

You know this means I am jacked up to get pics soon.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to vannooch

Yee Haw, love checking them out!
vannooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #13

Default Hi Lo 5th Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting32 View Post
I am going to post up some 5th wheel pictures, that I have found on the net. This weekend I'll have mine out to take pictures, and go to an event. Enjoy, if this works....

this is a supposed 89 model? The design is awesome to me, except you have to lift to open the door, it looks like.

[Pleas note THIS IS NOT MINE, I found images a while back while surfing google. in case the owner ever cleans off the website was old posts, I saved the pictures for posterity.]
Hi Lo made 26 of this 5th wheel in 89. There was 6 made at 32' which this looks like. I had one and it's serl. no was #6 I pulled it with a 96 Dodge 2500 PU. with a Comm's in it. The unit was to heavy to pull around much. I think that is why Hi lo stop making this unit and mad a new one in 94. I loved my 5th wheel but got a 1999 29 Cl with rear bed room.
chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting32 View Post

You posted the pictures of the 5th wheel that you found on the web. Could you provide me some details. We are buying this same model, but we do not know the model name, nor do we have the owners manual. Any information you could throw my way would be greatly appriciated. Deb L
DLanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLanigan View Post
You posted the pictures of the 5th wheel that you found on the web. Could you provide me some details. We are buying this same model, but we do not know the model name, nor do we have the owners manual. Any information you could throw my way would be greatly appriciated. Deb L
Looks like Chief knows more about these older one (not like mine) than I ever will.

All I know was, when I searched for 5th wheel hilo, after I found mine on the dealer's site, I was looking to see what anyone else was asking for even just the 5th wheel version. Well, I found 2, the one I copied the pictures from was a really really old add link google managed to dig up from like 95 or something like that, site is long gone I think as well.

Then there was the other one that is exactly what mine was when it came off the assembly line, before owner took it back to be remodeled into the toybox. found that one in Cali, that was looked like it was going to be (if not bought soon) rottin away, in a tree lined RV lot. I haven't seen it listed for a long time.

if yours looks like mine on the outside, then the manuals are the same as any hilo near that year, that you would find in our Library here at HTF.

Seriously, except mine has a bigger fridge (50 inch tall 2 door). pump is located on right front door, is the same pump used in all hilo or at least the 28ft and bigger if there is any difference.

If you look, there is not a "manual" for very many campers, they throw all the literature for any appliances in a bag, into a drawer. Even my folk's Safari Coach, didn't have a manual for it, really it is just the bag of manuals for every piece of furnatur, chassis, fridge, washer dryer, toilet, waterpumps, TV and stuff like that... I mean everyone thinks there is a Owner's manual like your automobile has, maybe they do nowdays, but when i worked on assmbly line building campers, in the 80's, there was no such thing then either.