Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #1

Default 50 amp service question

A friend just bought a 5th wheel and it is supposed to be 30 amp service. But it has a 50 amp cord and plug on it. I know I should have looked at the main breaker size but it didn't occur to me at the time. The unit has only one onboard AC but being that it came from Florida, the previous owners would add a window unit to help cool the trailer. I have a feeling they upgraded the service to run both ACs. My question is, if I am right and the service is upgraded, can we plug into the 220 volt plug on a generator if we wire an adapter to the 4 pin twist lock plug (what the generator takes).

misfit429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit429 View Post
A friend just bought a 5th wheel and it is supposed to be 30 amp service. But it has a 50 amp cord and plug on it. I know I should have looked at the main breaker size but it didn't occur to me at the time. The unit has only one onboard AC but being that it came from Florida, the previous owners would add a window unit to help cool the trailer. I have a feeling they upgraded the service to run both ACs. My question is, if I am right and the service is upgraded, can we plug into the 220 volt plug on a generator if we wire an adapter to the 4 pin twist lock plug (what the generator takes).
May need the 30/50 AMP adapter. I keep both in my trailer just in case.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #3

we have one now but the guy that we purchased the trailer from didn't know the difference between 30 amp and 50 amp plugs and has always just plugged into the outlet that the 50 amp plug fit. So either someone wired a 50 amp cord on and left one wire unhooked or the service has to have been upgraded. Seeing as a 50 amp cord is bound to be more expensive than a 30 amp, I can't see a reason to use it and leave a wire unhooked. I adapted down to a 20 amp plug and hooked to a 5K generator (which should produce around 40 amps) but the breaker on the generator tripped when AC compressor tried to kick on. From what I have read about 50 amp service, the load is split between 2 110 volt legs. That would make sense with the problem we are experiencing. Just not sure about the 220 volt plug and wether or not it will work the same as 50 amp service in a CG electrical box.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #4

Here's an answer to my question if anyone should need the info down the road. I called an RV repair place and they said 50 amp service is indeed 220 volt and it is ok to wire up a plug to hook to 220 volt receptacle on a generator. Amperage won't be as high on 220 as it would be on 110 because the generators wattage stays the same. A 5k generator will produce 18 to 22 amps as the 5K rating is peak power so under normal conditions the generator will produce around 4K watts which is around 18 amps. Just a reference if anyone should ever need the info.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #5

Here's a good explanation of 50A service:

The 50-amp 120/240-volt 3 pole 4

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:41 AM   #6

I carry a 30amp to 50amp dogbone in the HiLo but I only use it if the 30amp campground outlet is very worn and not holding the plug tightly. You have better overload protection for your trailer's electrical system by sticking to the 30 outlets. Just my opinion.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote