Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
sam

Default Aluminum roof question

Dh wants to know if he will be able to stand on an aluminum roof to wash it and recoat as necessary with out denting it. He is a medium build.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #2

If it is built like the standard HiLo roof, yes, you can walk on it. Just don't do it if it is wet, especially if it is soapy water. Don't ask. The plywood under it is pretty solid, just don't jump up and down on it. Be sure to wear soft soled shoes to prevent denting and for better traction.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #3

Sam -- I know you have said in the past what year your Hi-Lo is, but I have forgotten. What year is it? I know that through the years Hi-Lo's manufacturing processes and materials have changed, some good and some not so good. Therefore, when Beach and I bought our 2509C new from the factory in November 2009, I asked the exact same question to Tom Stacy at the factory. He said yes we could, but he wouldn't recommend putting an elephant up on that roof!! (LOL) When you go to J&R for the new roof, ask them the same question after they see what is under the old roof and you tell them what year Hi-Lo it is.

Dee
Summerville, SC
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Site Team

The roof on my 1707T is aluminum over plywood. I weigh just under 200# and the roof is VERY solid underfoot, but would be slippery when wet. I think the plywood is 3/4" thick, at least I remember it being about that thick when I replaced the toy rooftop fan with a Fantastic Fan.

- Jack
Old 09-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

The roof plywood on my 2209 is less than 1/4 inch thick but you can walk on it. If you remove the bottom cover on the air conditioner you can see the plywood thickness. Also I recently put a larger solar panel on and had to in large the hole for the wire and it was very thin. This caused me to check in side the air conditioner. Older trailers are probably different.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #6

I would not walk on my roof. When I tore mine apart the layers were like this: Aluminum roof, 1/8 sheeting, 1" styrofoam, 1/8 paneling. The really scary part is the metal frame is on 4 FOOT CENTERS!!!

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #7

Default Roof ????

Recently bought a 1984 22' Voyager that needed a "little" repair. After extensive examination many things were hidden & covered up. Oh well a complete restoration job should keep me busy. The question I have is has anyone had any experienced replaceing an entire roof with seamless rubber roofing material. I am going to have to strip it to the frame.
Pastor Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #8
sam

Default Walking on a aluminum roof.

Thanks for all the replies. Dh is only 145lbs so he should carefully be able to get on the roof to wash or recoat. Our present Rv is a 1990 25ft Classic with a rubber roof. I certainly will ask JR for advice on this. Now I am curious as to how far the roof metal supports are spaced out. We have trim on our interior roof every so often. This may be where the metal supports are or maybe where the interior roof panels meet.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
sam

Default Replacing a rubber roof.

Can you tell us a little more information about your roof leak. Is it ripped on the outside. Do you have interior damage? My rubber roof is twenty years old and has developed some slits where the roof turn to go over the edge. When i put my finger in them i could feel wetness on the underlay and wrinkled interior ceiling. We had enough hot weather that I believe the underlay dried out then we applied 20 feet of Quick Roof patch. WWW. cofair.com I have done some research on roof materials. Most of the HiLos were made with alum . roofs or a few years were rubber. Both have good and bad points. Hopefully you have been following some of the back conversation on this. You can look uo Mark Polk RV education 101. He restored a 1960 trailer and shows in episode five how he installed a rubber roof. Take notes as you watch this. ook Look up Dicor rubber roof on the internet. Lots of good information. You can also look up RV doctor rubber roof install. You might also consider putting on a metal roof. One of our HTF members GaryK52 took pictures of the device he made up and used to install the interior ceiling. Hope this helps you. Post again with any questions. Another resource: RV Roof Repair-Best Materials Handling moisture in RVS and houseboats. Excellent website.Rubber roof repair ,externabond video library.