Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #1

Default Canceled our Labor Day camping

All set to go to Promised Land State Park in Pa Labor day, but you know how best laid plans go. My wife Judy was out for a walk last night while I was at work and fell on a sidewalk and now has a compound fracture of her left wrist. So we are going to cancel the camping trip.

96 24' Hi-Lo Funchaser, (99 Aliner Sofabed Sold 6/9/18)
06 Toyota Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4X4 36,000 miles and counting
garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
Site Team

That sucks! Hope Judy is no longer in pain and recovers full use of her left hand quickly.

- Jack

Old 08-22-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
sam

Default canceled camping trip

What a bummer!! Hope she has a full recovery. Last Sept. I was in the hospital and missed our campout. Since the campground didn't give refunds I sent DH and DD anyway. Don't be in a hurry to cancel your reservation. You still might be able to go.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #4

gary, as we get older, Murphy's Law says that these things are going to happen. Tell her we hope she mends quickly and is able to keep a sense of humor about it. When we wanted to go to a Hi-Lo rally a few years back, Beach had to have unexpected shoulder surgery. I even fantasized about filling him up with pain pills, tossing him in the truck, and going anyway. My fantasy was broadened with the help of RetiredCamper on this forum (he is a retired EMT guy) by suggesting that I also hook up an IV of Jack Daniels to give him on the journey! (LOL). You just have to roll with the punches.

Dee
Summerville, SC
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:22 PM   #5

Thanks for the well wishes I'll tell her when I go down to the Geisinger Hospital tomorrow.
Well the surgery is over, at least 3 pins and 2 plates. She was supposed to go down to surgery at 1pm didn't go down till after 3, didn't start the operation till after 5, finished the surgery between 7 and 7:30, didn't get out of recovery and to her room till 11pm. While I sat in her room Life Flight landed 5 times. The nurses said they had a lot of trauma patients come in today and that's why Judy was so late being operated on and so long in recovery. She's in an awful lot of pain right now. Hopefully the pain will ease some by tomorrow and I can bring her home, but I don't expect that to happen till at least Monday. I told her if she's in a lot of pain, don't be afraid to buzz the nurse. In this day and age there's no reason to suffer with pain.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #6

Gary, exactly, there is no reason she should suffer in pain. Wow, she certainly did do a number on that wrist. A friend gave me some information which helped a great deal when I had Dad here recuperating from a stroke. If your dear wife is on Medicare, it provides for a practical nurse to visit you a couple of times a week to give baths and, if directed by the doctor, to change the dressing on the wound. Take advantage of that because you'll need a break from nursing whenever you can. The doctor won't volunteer this information; you will have to ask him for the services, and he will make the arrangements and sign off on it. Also, ask him or her for a prescription (which Medicare pays for) for a sturdy shower stool from your medical appliance store. She will be unsteady at the beginning of recuperation while on pain medication. The doctor probably has already informed you that the wrist wound must be water-proofed when showering. I had asked Dad what helped the most during recuperation, and he said that it was sitting on that shower stool and letting the warm water flow over his body; it relaxed his muscles. Gary, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and you and dear wife will be back camping again in no time. Get some help so that you will not wear yourself out; she will appreciate that you too are being taken care of.

Dee
Old 08-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #7

Once she gets into physical therapy stay with it. My wife has had two knees replaced, two partial shoulder replacements, and back surgery. its how I got from tent camping to the hi-lo. Its a struggle, but the pt can really help. - there is a light at the end. Make sure you give yourself some respite, also. I find doing "nursing" can be stressful even when it seems simple, and watching a loved one in pain can take a toll. Get friends to come in and hang for awhile and give yourself a chance to do something else. My best to your wife.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #8

Rick, X2.

Dee
Old 08-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
sam

Default Wrist operation

GaryK52,I didn't realize the extent of the injuries and that she needed surgery. Good thing you were at a hospital that could do trauma cases. I am a Nurse and can tell you that pain management should be a priority. Even after the medication is given it is our job to assess its effectiveness. Have the discharge planner check to see if your insurance will cover a Visiting Nurse. If the answer is no then you need to check with your ins.co. Had a discharge planner tell me a certain service wasn't covered. I should have called the Visiting Nurse my self. Found out they would have provided the service I needed. Now I have chronic problems because of this. So glad to hear she is getting the best care. Another member of our camping club fell while on vacation and got horrible care at a hospital down south. The husband ended up getting a DR. to give her enough pain pills so Her could bring her to the trauma center on the border of PA. Three days in the hosp with no surgery. One day in the trauma center and she was in surgery to fix her fractured elbow. Keep us posted. Our prayers are with Judy for a speedy recovery.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Hope your Judy gets well soon. There is always Columbus Day....
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #11

Hello, I'm Judy, thank you for the well wishes. I arrived home today. I feel fine, disappointed we aren't going camping but looking forward to many more camping adventures after we retire in two years. Again thanks for the well wishes and God Bless

Judy

Old 08-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #12
Site Team

Good you're home, Judy! Hope your wrist mends quickly and well.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #13
sam

Default Glad you are home.

Hope you have a speedy and uncomplicated recovery. I hate being in the hospital and being woken up all night. So good to get home to your own bed.