Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
sam

Default Crazy drivers

The other day I dropped DD off at work and continued on to run a few errands while I was out. I was in the lane next to the middle line. This driver crossed over into my lane and then made a quick turn. My reaction was to hit the brake. Really!! in such a hurry to almost cause an accident. Maybe that is why I say a prayer before driving.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #2

Good defense. Even though most states say that driving is a privilege and not a right I think we do a poor job ensuring that the privilege is earned. Continuing education is required for many certifications but not for driving. If you would like to sharpen your driving skills take a defensive driving course. You can find them on line and can be taken in the comfort of your own home at your own pace.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
sam

Default Bad drivers

I see drivers doing dangerous things alot. Where are the police? I don't even do anything wrong and I have been pulled over.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
I see drivers doing dangerous things alot. Where are the police? I don't even do anything wrong and I have been pulled over.
Sam, do you think we're being profiled because we are women? LOL and LOL, again!!

Dee
Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
sam

Default Crazy drivers

Dee, I sometimes think the police see us white people as cash cows. Yes,I feel I was profiled for driving a big F250 4x4 with and 8ft. bed and a fiberglass cap. The police in our city pulled over an elderly driver because they said she didn't stop for three seconds at a stop sign. DH and I have been pulled over for this same offence. Now IO stop and count to three and if the driver behind me doesn't like it OH well!!. I don't want this to turn into a lengthy conversation. I am simply answering Dee's question.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Dee, I sometimes think the police see us white people as cash cows. Yes,I feel I was profiled for driving a big F250 4x4 with and 8ft. bed and a fiberglass cap. The police in our city pulled over an elderly driver because they said she didn't stop for three seconds at a stop sign. DH and I have been pulled over for this same offence. Now IO stop and count to three and if the driver behind me doesn't like it OH well!!. I don't want this to turn into a lengthy conversation. I am simply answering Dee's question.
Sam, life is too short to worry about these things, and the only way to blow it off is to have a sense of humor about it unless, of course, they stick a gun in your face. At least they could flirt with you a little to make you feel better about their wasting your time!! LOL!

Dee
Old 08-24-2016, 08:29 PM   #7
sam

Default Crazy drivers

I have a friend in the Mental Health field. Her motto is "don't sweat the small stuff." I agree,the best thing we can do is go camping with our camping clubs. We eat way too much potluck,enjoy each others company and laugh a lot!!
Old 08-24-2016, 10:01 PM   #8

Quote:
I have a friend in the Mental Health field. Her motto is "don't sweat the small stuff." I agree,the best thing we can do is go camping with our camping clubs. We eat way too much potluck,enjoy each others company and laugh a lot!!
I was trying to give it a rest and let it end here, but I must add just a little (lot) more. Just as there are always rotten apples in a barrel, our men & women in blue or other colors are no exception, but I would not want to be in their shoes. My bother in-law was a police office in a one horse town in 1967, and when off duty responded to a merchants call for help. He ended up losing his life, shot in the back of the head by a young punk who received seven years for the killing. I was clocked at 45 mph in a 25 mph zone and as the officer was calling in for arrest & warrants another car went by much faster than my 45. The officer shook his head, came back and told me I had a couple of choices. He could site me for 45 mph, which would cost me $350.oo + with my insurance going up and DMV wanting to take my license away, or he could cite me for a lesser charge that would cost me $25.00. I took the $25.00. To shorten the story, when he submitted everything via computer, he chose the wrong selection and I was sited for failure to stop for a school bus, $650 +. I made contact with him and he took care of everything. I did not have to pay any fines, but I should have had to pay something!
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
I was trying to give it a rest and let it end here, but I must add just a little (lot) more. Just as there are always rotten apples in a barrel, our men & women in blue or other colors are no exception, but I would not want to be in their shoes. My bother in-law was a police office in a one horse town in 1967, and when off duty responded to a merchants call for help. He ended up losing his life, shot in the back of the head by a young punk who received seven years for the killing. I was clocked at 45 mph in a 25 mph zone and as the officer was calling in for arrest & warrants another car went by much faster than my 45. The officer shook his head, came back and told me I had a couple of choices. He could site me for 45 mph, which would cost me $350.oo + with my insurance going up and DMV wanting to take my license away, or he could cite me for a lesser charge that would cost me $25.00. I took the $25.00. To shorten the story, when he submitted everything via computer, he chose the wrong selection and I was sited for failure to stop for a school bus, $650 +. I made contact with him and he took care of everything. I did not have to pay any fines, but I should have had to pay something!
Garry, most people know when they have screwed up as soon as they do it; these people (including myself) are more mad at themselves than the cop who stopped them, but that cop is the only one there to take it out on. The cops really do appreciate a good sense of humor, and it is contagious when they are the recipient of light humor and don't feel threatened by you.

Dee