Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 05-22-2024, 09:30 PM   #1
sam

Default Getting HiLo fixed after no fault accident.

Tom recap. Our HiLo was parked across the street from our house. Some one came at a high rate of speed and hit the back cap on the drivers side. It was a hit and run. I have to believe the person who hit the Hit the HI LO was on drugs and alcohol.We made a police report. I have been calling Good Sam insurance every day. We have insured our pop up and two HiLOS with them. The person that hit our HiLO left behind his skin from the passenger door and several other body parts from his car. If he woke up hungover the next day and saw the damage to his car he might of thought someone hit him!! The adjuster said our claim would be settled in the next day or two. That brings it to Wednesday. The cap is unobtainum. I proved our body shop guy with large chunks of fiberglass. The cost to repair is $7.000.00. Possibly will total the HiLo out. It is a 1996 26ft. Classic. It is in excellent condition both inside and out. Anybody have experience with accident claims? Do I have the right to get it repaired? I bet I have paid insurance premiums for 25yrs. It was in the down position when it was hit. Thanks for any advice, The NADA pricing is low. We have lots of upgrades and new parts.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:18 PM   #2

Hi Sam,

Sorry to hear about the damage. Other motorists carelessness upsets me greatly because they cause damage to items and property that others hold dear.

Do you know if your policy is setup based on market value or a declared value? I have found that with my toys (i.e. campers, cars, etc) I have declared a value and that is the agreed value that I have been paid when something has occurred.

In either case, you should be able to negotiate a settlement and keep the trailer should the repair costs exceed the amount they agree to pay you. At that juncture, you could decide if you want to get repaired and pay the difference or another plan of action. At the end of the day, you are the rightful owner of the Hi-Lo and they cannot force you to relinquish it if you do not want to.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with as you work through this with the insurance co.

Good Luck!

97towlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 02:58 PM   #3
Site Team

97 - Just so sam has all the facts, if the trailer IS totaled, and they keep it and fix it, can it be insured again?

- Jack
Old 05-23-2024, 04:05 PM   #4
sam

Default Thanks for the information/thoughts.

I was doing my blood work and chest xray when the person that does totaled vehicles called. *** many know the cap is unavailable. The body shop is very confident he can fix it using the chunks of fiberglass that we provided them. He suggested that they put it in email how they came to the figure of value. If the trailer 1996 is such low value why did they keep raising my premium for so many years. The insurance co is anxious to send it to Copart in Kentucky. The grave yard for rvs. We se drivers blowing red lights all the time. Seems like worse than ever. My cousin got hit by a driver running a red light. Her car only had 23thousand miles and was totaled. It cost her $20.000 to get the same car. So far Good Sam insurance is not so good!!!! I will be able to give them some bad free publicity. In hind sight i would have been better to self insure. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Old 05-23-2024, 04:50 PM   #5

Hi Jack,

It has been my experience that as long as photos can be provided (and/or possibly an inspection) showing the unit has been repaired to pre-damaged condition - insuring should not be an issue. As we have all seen here, these trailers (and really anything else in life) can be brought back from nearly nothing with time and money. I cant imagine a trailer being totaled due to some broken fiberglass. In insurance speak, totaled only really means the insured value of an item is less than the cost to repair it.

I shudder to think the unit will end up in a salvage yard over a damaged cap which we all know is removeable and generally cosmetic damage.
97towlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Agreed! I know sam and her DH can fix it!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 05:23 PM   #7
sam

Default Fixing the HiLo.

I hope the shop can fix it. DH has a long list of outside chores.
Old 05-25-2024, 02:56 PM   #8
sam

Default Decided to get the HiLo fixed.

It is official we are getting our 26ft.1996 Classic fixed at a well qualified body shop. It is going to cost us some $ out of our own pocket. The estimate of repairs is greater than what what the insurance co.is going to pay out. That is probably why they thought we would junk it. In looking over the itemized repairs it is evident more scrapes and paint job needed. It is above our capabilities to repair it out selves. DH is about ready to put in a huge garden. This is his hobby since 16yrs. old. He enjoys giving away produce to our neighbors. He also has several other outside chores to complete. The joys of owning a home. Wouldn't want to go back to my apt. days.
Old 05-25-2024, 03:49 PM   #9
Site Team

Hope you're back on the road again soon, sam! Yup, a home really wants to just crumble into the earth if not maintained. I think our trailers kinda want to do that too.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 10:59 AM   #10
sam

Default Getting HiLo repaired.

25items on the repair list. Estimate is for three days of labor. We had this shop repair the bang and repaint the front cap when we got the HiLo. My guess is the prior owners pulled it with a full size van and jacknifed the HiLo. Very fortunate to have this large repair shop close to home. They repair many a school buses and fire trucks. They repair trucks and cars. Our first camping reservation isn't until the end of June. The work should begin on Tuesday. Then back to our HiLo dealer for NYS inspection.
Old 05-27-2024, 01:21 AM   #11

Did Good Sam make "GOOD" on their part and cover the cost of the repair? Minus deductible? Or did they screw around with you and not want to cover the repair cost?
I'm curious,...what percentage of the cost did they cover? I'm asking because I was considering getting coverage from them but have been reluctant to do so, your experience dealing with them will help a lot of us, Thanks.
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2024, 06:40 PM   #12
sam

Default Natrional General insurance.

I would advise anyone with a HiLo to self insure. They only paid $5.000-$1300 salvage and then minus $100.for deductible. I probably have been with them for 25yrs. A pop up and two HiLOS. It is under Good Sam. I will be out of pocket $1.600. You can't buy a used RV for this amt. of $.. DH is 78yrs.old. I would not want and over priced poor quality new RV.
Old 05-28-2024, 10:35 PM   #13
sam

Default Stopped by our body shop today.

Turned in the ten pages from our insurance Co. Spoke at length with our contact person. He explained the repair process for the cracked paneling in the shower area. Says he will put metal into the cap to support the fiberglass repair. Very confident that the repair will be done correctly and water tight.Insurance co said repairs will be done in three days. Will take five days.We have used this shop to do repairs on the front cap. APLUS work!!