Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
sam

Default Installing new buble level

Help needed.We have a big bubble level on the front upper half. The black ball seems to get stuck and I am not sure how accurate it is after sitting outside for 22 yrs. I "wouldn't work after I sat outside for 22 yrs." lol HOw do you get the trailer level to install the new big level? DH wants to know.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95
Default leveling bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Help needed.We have a big bubble level on the front upper half. The black ball seems to get stuck and I am not sure how accurate it is after sitting outside for 22 yrs. I "wouldn't work after I sat outside for 22 yrs." lol HOw do you get the trailer level to install the new big level? DH wants to know.
Sam,

I have always assumed the floor of the RV is level so we carry a carpenter's level with us to get it right side to side and front to rear. My wife can tell it it is a quarter bubble off level and insists on watching the bubble as I jack the front up or down and also when putting the stabilizer jacks down.

Another method is to select a good level paved driveway and make sure all tires are aired to the same pressure. Use your measuring tape and measure to the top [or bottom] of the outriggers front and rear to insure the same distance from the ground to the top or bottom of the outriggers is the same.

Good luck.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
sam

Default Installing new level

Thanks for the reply. I will show to dh tomorrow as he is sleeping. I don't think our trailer has outriggers. I would probably just put it in the same spot as the old one. Did you get my reply to thr cabinet removal question?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #4

Hi Sam. The floor with a carpenters level would be pretty good. I use a small torpedo level (about 8") on top of my fridgerator to check my level.
Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #5

Default Level

Sam,
All the years I've been around campers I've heard that the refrigerator needs to be level to operate properly. So when I've installed new levels I insure the refrigerator is level (checking foward and aft as well as side to side) as best as is possible that then install the level. I check it both ways because my Hi Lo came with two levels. One on the front and one on the side. Once I install the levels with the refrigerator level I use them to level the camper once we arrive at a site.
Some may not agree with this. Example, I once had a new refrigerator installed in a 5th wheel I owned. The mechanic told me the refrigerators do not have to be all that level to operate properly. Don't know if I believed him or not. So I aim to end up with the refrigerator level.
When I considered answering your post I went and checked the Manual that came with our Hi Lo. Didn't learn much there. So I pulled the manual on the refrigerator. Here is what Dometic says about their refrigerator being lever. I'm picking up in the middle of a paragraph.
" The tubing in the evaporator section is specifically sloped to provide a continuous movement of liquid ammonia, flowing downward by gravity through this sectioin. If the refrigerator is operated when it is not level and the vehicle is not moving, liquid ammonia will accumulate in sections of the evaporator tubing. This will slow down the circulation of hydrogen and ammonia gas, or in servere cases, completely block it, resulting in a loss of cooling.
Anytime the vehicle is parked for several hours with the refrigerator operating, the vehicle should be leveled to prevent this loss of cooling.
The vehicle needs to be leveled only so it is comfortable to live in (no noticible sloping of floor or walls)".
So while it sounds like it does not have to be perfectly level it does make one think that the more level the refrigerator is the better cooling you can expect.
Guess that's why all the fuss on getting the refrig level.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

If it's to far out of level, as you said the liquid ammonia will not flow back down to the boiler, as the boiler runs dry the additive that is added to the ammonia to keep it from eating thru the tubing will crystallized and the orifice will eventually become blocked, thus damaging the cooling unit. Requiring replacement.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
sam

Default Installing a New lg. bubbnle level on top exterior.

Thanks for the replies. You would think that the package with the new level would give some directions!! Not so. I am aware that the ref. has to be level. DH is short of a fanatic about leveling the HiLo. Our ref. has been replaced and only runs on propane or electric. We never travel with it on propane. Do you think their is differences between the bottom haalf of the trailer being level and the levelness of the top half? Could the two halves of the trailer be sl. different?
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #8

Sam,
Frankly I'd be suprized if the levelness of the top and bottom halves of your Hi-Lo matched! In fact, if your rig is anything like any of the three that I've owned, none of the horizontal surfaces are level with each other. Close, but not the same.
To protect the refrigerator from damage (and it doesn't matter if it's running on gas, or electricity), I've ALWAYS leveled the trailer by leveling the refrigerator. Poprichie and Papa are spot on regarding the chemistry and reasons for reefer damage. Do not assume the floor or the frame match the level of the refrigerator. I really recommend you set your leveling bubble after leveling the refrigerator!
Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
sam

Default Bubble level placement

Thanks for all the spot on advice. I will do as suggested and get the ref. level and place the bubble level accordingly. I suppose I could have called our HiLo dealer and asked for advice,but we are the ones that use our HiLos extensively and I felt confident of the advice I would receive from the forum members.