Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #1

Default Not a lot going on this weekend...

I am waiting for my stuff from etrailer.com to arrive, should be here tuesday.

The biggest thing keeping me from doing anything is Lasik I had on Friday...

40 years of glasses and contacts gone in about 5 minutes!... OK maybe 7...

My distance vision is still a little "fuzzy", but I can tell it's getting better and better. Friday night was HORRIBLE!!! My eyes felt like I had a blow torch blowing on them all night, it was awfull... PLEASE put them back the way they were OMG!!! Woke up much better saturday morning

But I'm staying away from chemicals (cleaning) and dust, dirt and such for the next week until the "flap" heals. Because my perscription was so high before, it's going to take a bit longer for stuff to come into focus. I had what you might call "coke bottle bottoms" for lenses...

I am truely amazed at how fast the proceedure was/is... I literally spent more time dealing with paperwork and paying for it ($3500) then I did in the laser room...

Best thing I have ever done, but I am glad I waited for the full lasik to come out, not sure I could handle the "blade" thingy...

davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc View Post
I am waiting for my stuff from etrailer.com to arrive, should be here tuesday.

The biggest thing keeping me from doing anything is Lasik I had on Friday...

40 years of glasses and contacts gone in about 5 minutes!... OK maybe 7...

My distance vision is still a little "fuzzy", but I can tell it's getting better and better. Friday night was HORRIBLE!!! My eyes felt like I had a blow torch blowing on them all night, it was awfull... PLEASE put them back the way they were OMG!!! Woke up much better saturday morning

But I'm staying away from chemicals (cleaning) and dust, dirt and such for the next week until the "flap" heals. Because my perscription was so high before, it's going to take a bit longer for stuff to come into focus. I had what you might call "coke bottle bottoms" for lenses...

I am truely amazed at how fast the proceedure was/is... I literally spent more time dealing with paperwork and paying for it ($3500) then I did in the laser room...

Best thing I have ever done, but I am glad I waited for the full lasik to come out, not sure I could handle the "blade" thingy...
Davidc,

I just did the 'blade thingy' last Monday and my distance vision is still fuzzy also [cataract surgery, 2nd eye]. I opted for a special lens in my 2nd eye that is supposed to make wearing glasses for driving unnecessary. I am thankful I didn't experience any of the discomfort you described. Wasn't as costly as your surgery but my insurance didn't pay anything on the special lens. Just hope it works out well for both of us.

I hope you can get back to your project soon. I'm finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on our project. Just four more windows to re-caulk, lubing the cables, checking the air in the tires, then we are heading out in about 8 more days!

Jerry Curtis
2406T
Fredericksburg, TX

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:11 AM   #3

jcurtis95, hope everything works out for you as well. They told me before I started that my eyes would feel like I left my contacts in a little too long... I can honestly say I have NEVER EVER left my contact in until they felt as bad as they did friday night .

I also have some stuff I need to get done to my vehicle, but I am opting to not go crawling around under it, I coiuld wear some safety glasses I guess, but just can't see taking any chances with something getting in my eyes at this point.

I've heard of the special lenses that they can put in, I didn't have the need for it though, but at least people have the option... 20/20 people don't know or realize what it's like having to deal with glasses or cantacts their whole lives.

My insurance also covered NOTHING. It's "cosmetic" as far as they are concerned, so it's "optional" and not a necssary proceedure... oh well, doing it while I have the $funds$.. I paid for it with my flex spending account, $160 out of my paycheck every 2 weeks and will be done in December. They could have financed it for 5 years at $99, but that diodn't make any sense to me when I could have it paid in 12 months time.

I also can't wait to take my hi-lo out for my first time.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
sam

Default Eye surgery

Best of luck to both of you as you heal up from eye surgery. Yesterdafy I just hung around the house doing odds and ends. My daughter and husband went to mow the lot where we have our trailer parked. Can't ever remember mowing this early. Mowed at our house in March and the lot in April. The ground was a little muddy/wet as we didn't have a hard freeze this winter. I sent over two totes of shampoo ect.,the stuff that would freeze and burst. Just wanted him to set them in the trailer,but he had my daughter put stuff away. I'll have to go rearrange when the weather warms to 60 degrees later in the week. So jealous they got to spend time in the HiLo. Everyone have a blessed Easter!!!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95
Default Check your Fire Exit.

I did some more work this afternoon on our Hi Lo; trying to get the rest of the windows re-caulked and was able to get two more today, but with some difficulty. Since it was Sunday, I didn't want to get too involved and decided I would re-caulk the window in the door and possibly one more and call it a day.

First the door. My wife has been ill and I decided to do the door since I could handle it by myself. Almost a mistake. As soon as I removed the screws, I carefully pulled the retainer frame off and luckily caught the glass that came out with it! Afterwards, I could see why, only one 'glob' of caulking at the top of the glass was [barely] holding it in. There was additional caulking material around but so sparsely applied and long ago dried out that I doubt it had ever adhered to the glass. There are supposed to be [6] retaining nodules to maintain the glass pane alignment and hold the window in place but the upper two were broken in the initial installation, so use extra care when removing the door window.

Then the big 'fire exit' window over the kitchen sink. When we got the Hi Lo last summer, I remember trying the exit window and it would not budge. After removal, I could easily determine why. When they installed the window, not only did they caulk around the frame, they also placed a bead of caulk along the window portion that is supposed to swing freely open in case of emergency! If one were able to kick the darn thing open, I doubt it would have given way as it was caulked on each 'arcing' end, making it impossible to open. I don't think a man, let alone a woman could have opened it using any method.

Aside from that, when I removed the window, there were [4] broken screws. They weren't broken due to rust, rather, they were torqued so highly they broke inside the frame and only had a semblance of being in place. Putting the retainer back in was a pain. It was skewed so badly from the screws that had been placed at severe angles that alignment was next to impossible. It was so bad that I had to use some metal roofing screws to force alignment in order to get the regular screws back in. I am certain this occurred due to a screw gun set to hi-speed and using brute strength to get the window installed and get on to the next window. Again, workmanship was not a consideration, rather just getting finished with this unit and on to the next!

Just two more windows and I will be finished.

When I finished up yesterday, I took off the interior railing covers and lubricated the pulleys and cable in the four corners. I must say, this is the first time I have ever lubricated the cables and pulleys and this is the third Hi Lo we've owned. Thanks to this forum I learned that this is an integral part of the overall maintenance of the Hi Lo.

Jerry & Carol Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #6

Yeah, I dread doing 1 of my windows... all the GLOBS of caulking on the the top edge has me really curious whats going on but oh well.

Thursday things go "back to normal" for me as far don't do this and don't do that and avoid this and avoid that.

Unfortunately, we work this saturday, but fortunately I am off from wednesday on... so I'll be able to get some stuff done.

At least you caught the window...
Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
sam

Default Fire exit repair

Jerry, What a sorry state your trailer was in!! It is a good thing you are mechanically inclined. We also had to do extensive repair to our escape window. Several years ago we did many days of repair to our upper exterior door. Gee , I wonder why HiLo went out of business? The owner made his $ and ran the business to the ground. I know someone will benefit from your excellent description of your findings and repair. Sorry to hear your wife isn't feeling well. Today I went to my ENT and he removed the drainage tube(felt like I was tethered to a ball and chain). The second pathology report came back with no traces of cancer. I have a follow up apt. in ten days. So I know what you guys are going through with medical restrictions. Our HiLo dealer claims if the HiLos were made perfect we wouldn't be able to afford them.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
sam

Default Repairs

I had dh read your post and he said you did an excellent job with your repairs. You will surely appreciate your upcoming vacation after all your hardwork. We still have some work to do on our trailer when the weather gives us a break. I would like to paint the exterior. Read about this on another camping forum and think this is doable for us. Poor hubby has been semiretired for two and the work list never seems to get reduced by much. He has done 13 things and we keep crossing off and adding to the list.