Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
sam

Default Preventive maintenance to prevent water dammage

Remove ans replace all windows if they are over ten years old. Marker lights are a source of leaks,check and reseal. Screws that won't stay tight. Screws that are corroded. Replace with stainless steel. Check out this website: www.RV basics.com It also listed www.RV Tip of The Day.com

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #2

Sam, you didn't really mean "replace all windows" did you? Are you sure you didn't mean remove and replace all caulking on the windows every 10 years

Cheers
Garyk52

garyk52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
sam

Default Remove and replace windows back in RV.

Remove and replace windows back in RV. Use butyl tape and use lexel caulk. Just wanted to see if you were paying attention,Gary!! One small window, I was told costs $600.00 . This price quote was several years ago. Even a HiLo that the owner deems junk has valuable parts to sell.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Remove ans replace all windows if they are over ten years old. Marker lights are a source of leaks,check and reseal. Screws that won't stay tight. Screws that are corroded. Replace with stainless steel. Check out this website: www.RV basics.com It also listed www.RV Tip of The Day.com
Sam, I responded to another of your posts on another topic when I saw this new post. As I said I have been really busy working 'must do' projects before the June Summer hits us, and I think it will hit hard this year.

I never gave any thought about checking the marker lights so I will do that when I make repairs to the cracked end caps this fall. I forgot to mention my end cap repair jobs didn't even make it to Oklahoma before they broke apart from the bonding job I did on them. I will go back to plan 1, cover and balance the area with a good bonding tape, paint it, and place an American Flag decal on each end.

One other repair I did last week was to repair the Black Water Holding tank with some of that material that Neal & Bev referred to in a post a couple of years ago. [ http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f27/...tank-leak-282/ ]. Neal was right, it dries really quick, but thanks to his forewarning, I was prepared. I covered the whole area with that tar-like bonding mix and cloth and it looks really good. Only bad part about it is that I am in no place to where I can test my repair job. I don't want to fill it up and have to empty it using 5-gallon buckets, so I will wait until October. Thanks for the tip, Neal and Bev.

I hope everyone is enjoying the Memorial Holiday observance. God Bless our Veterans and our Active men and women as well!

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
sam

Default Repairs

Sorry to hear your end cap repair didn't hold up. I would be furious at Hi Lo for making an absolute failure of a design/Material change. We too are also trying to catch up on a few warm weather repairs to our HiLo. Did you have a chance to get your cupboard down and do the dammaged wall repair.? Today was 89 and way too hot for lawn mowing. We had to do it anyway because tomorrow is severe thunder storms and rain which we desperately need. Then DH hopes the soil will be soft enough to rototill and get the garden in. The work list never seems to get any smaller. Our neighbor dropped her expensive ring down her Br sink and DH had to cut the plumbbing apart to get it out. Another side job to do. It was plumbed incorrectly.Sometimes it pays to be handy.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
sam

Default Checking marker lights for water intrusion

I wouldn't wait until fall to check the marker lights. I would do asap. It is easy to pop the lens off and check for evidence of corosion put the lens back on and seal with lexel caulk.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

Too much around the home to do right now to start on the Hi Lo.. With summer coming on and kids and grand kids coming I will place a strip of tape over it and it will be covered so it should be okay until fall. I want to research a different repair technique before going back to 'plan 1'.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T
jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
sam

Default Repairing your end caps

I would ask JR and the HTF members for ways to repair your end caps that have been sucessful. Have a great summer with the grand kids!! I read your Pm to me after I had posted.