Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #1

Default Queen mattres for 28 foot hi-lo

I would like to know if anyone has purchased a gueen size mattress to replace the old original. Are they the same size? I know they will be thicker. I just need the comfort. Thank you

diggerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #2

I haven't replaced my mattress but I did put on a 4 inch memory foam mattress topper and it changed my life. Sleep like a baby now and it was cheaper than a new mattress. You will probably have a short queen, just measure it and compare it to the mattress you want to compare it to.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #3

We did the same thing as Big Lou, and DITTO, now we sleep better in our Hi-Lo than at home! Last year when we bought our memory foam 4" topper, the lowest price was at Costco. Jim
2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
JMDoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #4

We pitched the original mattress and bought a queen size Aero Bed Air Mattress. It has served us well for the last five years we have used it. It also lets you access the storage area below the bed much easier.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #5

We too bought a 4" memory foam and it sleeps great. The mattress is a short queen, 6" shorter than a normal queen.
5.7L V8 Hemi
Factory installed tow package
MStoneham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerdave View Post
I would like to know if anyone has purchased a gueen size mattress to replace the old original. Are they the same size? I know they will be thicker. I just need the comfort. Thank you
When we bought our Hi-Lo used it had a new queen mattress, very comfortable. May be slightly larger than the support below. I also made an extension for the fold down couch and put a queen air bed mattress on it. Makes a good usable bed for grandkids or another couple
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #7

I haven't replaced my mattress but I did put on a 4 inch memory foam mattress topper and it changed my life. Sleep like a baby now and it was cheaper than a new mattress. You will probably have a short queen, just measure it and compare it to the mattress you want to compare it to.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #8

Default Queen size

If I am not mistaken the queen size mattress in rv's is shorter than a standard queen size. We previously owned a 5th wheel and replaced the mattress that came in it with a standard queen size mattress. I had to extend the platform by about 4 to 6 inches (can't rmember how much) to accomadate the additional lenght.

We have discussed doing the same in our 2805C but are concerned about the space at the end of the bed being enough for a person to get around (like going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, ha). We have decided since returning from the Hi Lo rally that we need a topper for the mattress vs. a buying a queen size.

Glad to hear that many are pleased with the 4" memory form. We'll start watching the sale papers to pick one up.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
sam

Default Memory foam topper

You might try Walmart or Sams club for a topper. Shop the net for prices. If need be you can cut the foam easily with a kitchen knife. Use a sharpie to mark where you need to cut. DH took the topper I bought for our adult daughter and used a serated kitchen knife to cut it. He just grabbed it out of the kitchen drawer in the RV. This was for her dinette bed. Don't sleep another night without this in your RV. You will be saying "I wish I had done this sooner."
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #10

Try Overstock.com: Online Shopping - Bedding, Furniture, Electronics, Jewelry, Clothing & more for the memory foam. We have purchased it there a number of times.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #11

Default Memory Foam topper

After checking the 55% - 65% weekend sale at Kohls on memory foam mattress toppers we went to Sam's and got one. 2 1/2" was $135 on sale at Kohl's and we picked one up at Sam's 2 1/2" for $79.
God Bless
Papa
Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #12
sam

Default Memory foam Topper

Yes, make those dollars count!!I love my sams membership for certain items. Our Sams is only fifteen minutes away from my house.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Used my rewards card and got 20% off the price. Well worth the money.

Search
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:48 AM   #14

Haven't measured yet to see if it will work but considering swapping out our queen bed in the hilo for the one in the house and then upgrading the house one to a king. Been wanting a king for a couple years but dh is resisting. Thought this would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone. my concern is that since it is an adjustable (dh has severe gerd) the weight will be too much. The other option is the 4" memory foam that everybody is talking about but we still need to find a way to prop the head of the mattress (without it sliding) for dh
zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #15

Anybody ever try foam tops on pull out couch/conversion ? I like being able to leave it as a couch during day but it is almost too cushiony at night and it is a debate as to who must sleep on the " crack"between cushion at night.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
sam

Default Couch to foam cushion

I would try a foam mattress topper. I'm sure you will like it and it isn't a whole lot of $. Several back posts have suggested good places to purchase.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #17

Yes, that is why I was wondering. Many seem to have the set-ups with full queen mattresses so I didn't know how many were using them with couch conversion. Is it easy to stow the foam tops when not in use? I've been using a couple of therm-a-rest inflatable camping pads which don't work bad, actually, for supplying some firmness. Up to now we haven't tried fitting sheets at night and just use our sleeping bags and a comforter. But sheets and foam might be nice.

rick

4x4
Old 07-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #18

To convert our couch on the tipout to a comfortable bed I made an extension out of a 2x8 the length of the couch that has 2 hinged 2x8 legs that supports it at the height of the folded down couch. We then have a blowup queen aero mattress that goes on top. Makes a totally comfortable bed for two adults. Takes no more than 5 minuets to set up or take down the bed. I stow the 2x8 in the pickup bed during the day and under the folded in tipout when towing the HiLo
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #19

Jim

Sounds like a great idea. On my 2201 I dont have tip out and when the couch is pulled out it is right up against refrigerator cabinet. So, I'm sort of committed to working with those restraints. In the meantime I'll stick with thermarest pads. Tip outs sure seem like great idea, though.

Thanks

Rick

4x4
Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #20

Stopped in our hi lo on the way to the dr this afternoon and scoped out the measurements for the bed. Our house bed should work. I plan on removing the base support, ripping up the carpet and putting new vinyl down. Ripping up the carpet should solve two problems in there. Ill be able to see what the heck is going on under the carpet on the one side of the bed with that strange bump and two remove some of the mustiness. I then plan on putting the boxspring and mattress directly on the floor. Yes I will lose some storage but we don't use that area anyway and the increased sleeping comfort more than compensates! I still have some concerns of the extra weight of the box spring and adjusting mechanism of the bed. Any thoughts?

zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote