Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
sam

Default Replacing the lamp style interior lights

DH is annoyed with the wornout bulb holder in the cute lampstyle interior light. He wants to replace the entire interior light. I was wondering if anyone has found replacement guts? I like the style of the fixture and don't want to change them unless we have no alternative.See a picture of the fixture under getting ready to go camping,1st picture.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Sam, I also like those lights, but Towlites don't have them. I never really looked at one. Does it have the standard screw in type bulb but 12 Volts DC instead of 110 AC? If it does a standard 110 socket can be used, hardware stores had them in the past.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
sam

Default Changing interior lt.guts.

DH is asleep so I can't ask him for further clarification.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
sam

Default Replacing interior lamp lights.

Did a little research and discovered the exact light fixture costs $65.00 a piece. Next week I will visit my HiLo dealer to see if the have the "new guts" or can get them. The inside candle takes an 1156 or 1157 screw in bulb(two contacts. It also has to be screwed,twisted and fitted between two small loops of metal. It is a wearout issue. I also need to pick up a new ac cover while I am there(plastic ADCO.)
Old 05-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #5

Sam, Not to be a smart a**, but the bulbs you are describing have a bayonet base, like taillight bulbs. The bases for those bulbs in the Hilo are unusual because the bulbs need to have two contacts with a single filament. Most automotive bulbs are not that type. They either have one contact and one filament or two contacts with two filaments. I don't remember what the proper bulb number is. I learned all about those bulbs when helping my dealer friend work on a Classic. One of the fixture bulbs was burned out so I went and got a single contact bulb and put it in and immediately blew a fuse. The bulb shorted across both contacts. I hope you find something for a reasonable price.

Added note: Look for a cheap taillight at Walmart or an auto parts store. Maybe you can tear it apart for the socket to rebuild the fixtures.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
sam

Default Lampeplacement parts

Maybe I said the wrong # for the bulb. Anyway Dh is good with fixing things and has a large ziplock bag of different bulbs for the HiLo. He also is trained inelectrical electronics. I will keep you posted so others can do this repair.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #7

I'm sure he will figure something out.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 05-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
sam

Default correct lt bulb

If dh's memory is correct the bulb size would be 1142 in the candle lampshade holder. The trailer seems to have many sizes of bulbs and fuses. We even have a fuse in our cat string lts. Two strings of lts. are used on the awning. When we first got the HiLo I purchased a small bottle of model airplane gold paint. Then I had fun twisting and turning to repaint the gold posts on the interior lights. My paint job still looks great 11 years later. The bulb in the square lts. get so hot that they burn a hole in the plastic(interior.) Another good reason to change over to LED. A bad design/fire hazard.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #9

The lights generate a lot of heat. When I helped my friend at RV shows we turned all the lights on in the trailers and they made it mighty warm inside. The LED lights reduce the heat to about a fifth of the bulbs, depending on what you get.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 05-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
sam

Default Reinstalled the two front style candle/lampshade lights.

The look so rich with Krylon Metallic Gold paint. To fix the flickering bulb issue all you have to do is take the bulb out and reach in with a small flat screwdriver and carefully lift the two small contacts. Reinsert light bulb and see if it is tight enough. Cost: a little of your time. DH was able to unwire the other three lts. for me to spray paint. Had to buy another can of spraypaint as I was a tad short. Don't you hate that when it happens!! Cleaned the metal step at entryway with paint thinner. Scraped a little bit of rust,cleaned and sprayed with Black spray paint. Looks good with a fresh coat of spray paint. Tomorrow DH will install new step rug. Touched up the hammered paint on the tongue. The best one was spraying with Black Plastic coating on the chains that hook up to the truck. Dh will have to do the wdh chains tomorrow. I purchased some brown plastic spray paint to do the door/window frame. DH has used plastic paint at workand says it really comes out nice and sticks. Just trying to bring old faithful back to renewed life. The sun can really do a number on things.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #11

Hmmm, mine has a 1076 bulb, double contact - single filament bulb...

I have yet to find one local and replacement LED bulbs are 12.95 - $19.95 each (depends on style of bulb) that would hold the lamp shade with a regular type "bulb" cover - cheaper ones are out there, but I don't have much confidence with the lamp shade being held on by the LED itself... I think it would ruin the bulb in very short time.
davidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
sam

Default Light bulb for our style of lights

DH doesn't see a wear issue with the metal lampshade clipping onto the LED bulb. We rarely boondock,so replacing to LED bulbs hasn't been a priority. Haven't done enough research yet,yes the bulbs can be pricey. Order one or two and then you get 5% off for repeat orders at Super bright LED lights. See previous posts where a HTF member made a recommendation on the correct bulb to buy.