Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
sam

Default Some days go better than others.

The three of us went to Olive garden with a group of us that do volunteer work for folks with developmental disabilities. All was going well until the waitress tried to balance a wooden box with tea bags in it and the stainless tea pot. I looked over and saw the tea pot slide and scald DH on the back. He jumped up and started to take his sweater off. Next he went into the mens room and took the shirt and undershirt off. I asked for ice packs. The waitress brought a wad of napkins with ice cubes in them. A male employe gave it to DH. He wet his tee shirt and soaked his back. I got the disposible icepack out of my first aid kit in the truck. The manager came over and we exchanged contact information. I then called our MD and was told to bring him right in. I took a picture with DD phone. I also gave him ibuprofen for the pain. We quickly finished eating. The manager didn't make DH pay for his meal. The manager stated Liberty Mutual would pay for all his care. I showed the manager his large burn. Just about the entire left side of his back. If DH knew he was going to get a free meal he should have ordered the most expensive thing on the menu. He has 1st. and 2nd degree burns. He was seen by our MD today and he sent him to the wound care center for specialized care. The care he received today was top notch. I also had an apt. today with a highly rated lawyer that specializes in injury cases. All I have to do is sent in the receits for bandages ect. I never have to deal with the ins. co. The waitress is young and obviously needs more training. The waitress said she got bumped and that is why she spilled the water. This is a lie!!! DD and I both saw what happened. To make matter worse I was feeling lousy the day this happened as I had a bladder infection. I'm feeling much better with my antibiotic. Thankfully dh is able to control the pain with Tylenol or ibuprofen. Good thing I am a Nurse as I have to do his wound care/bandage changes twice a day.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:44 AM   #2

Wow! That's a very unfortunate happening, I hope he gets healed up quickly. It scares me to see servers carrying loaded trays through crowed restaurants. I have seen some places that have two servers working together, one to kind of clear the way and give patrons a heads up and the other carrying the food tray. It's just so easy for things to happen. At least he is in good hands there with you.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
sam

Default some days go better than others

Thanks rich R. The Dr. said the first week is the worst as far as drainage. I have to monitor for signs ans symptoms of infections. The Dr. said he will take well over a month to heal up. His dressing changes take me 20minutes twice a day. He has apts with the wound clinic once a week. The restaurant wasn't crowded. It was just a young waitress not thinking or being properly trained.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Thanks rich R. The Dr. said the first week is the worst as far as drainage. I have to monitor for signs ans symptoms of infections. The Dr. said he will take well over a month to heal up. His dressing changes take me 20minutes twice a day. He has apts with the wound clinic once a week. The restaurant wasn't crowded. It was just a young waitress not thinking or being properly trained.
When I read your post all I could think of was "OMG", do they ever catch a break? With your experience and care we will keep you in our thoughts for his speedy recovery.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
sam

Default Some days go better than others

Gary, Thanks for the positive thoughts and well wishes. DH isn't a complainer. He just takes ibufrofen before I have to do the dressing changes.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #6

Sam, our thoughts are with you and your husband. Let me also remind people who might be sending their prayers your way that the young lady who was ultimately responsible for this incident is probably in need of a little consolation and prayer also. Couldn't hurt, huh?
2014 Ford F-350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:48 PM   #7
sam

Default Our bad day is getting much better.

Took DH to a burn clinic for a second opinion today. I no longer have to do dressing changes or apply his burn cream. He can now shower and then I apply moisturizing cream. Just very tender as it resembles a huge very red sunburn. He also saw our PA for a tetanus shot. She talked to him about not going bare chested in the sun. He never does this. He will never be allowed to wear white shirts in the sun. We will follow up with the wound clinic as needed. Can you spell relief!!
Old 12-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam View Post
Took DH to a burn clinic for a second opinion today. I no longer have to do dressing changes or apply his burn cream. He can now shower and then I apply moisturizing cream. Just very tender as it resembles a huge very red sunburn. He also saw our PA for a tetanus shot. She talked to him about not going bare chested in the sun. He never does this. He will never be allowed to wear white shirts in the sun. We will follow up with the wound clinic as needed. Can you spell relief!!
Finally some encouraging news! Hope things continue to go in a positive direction.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote