Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
sam

Default Stopped at my HiLo dealer.

First thing that i noticed was alot of empty shelves. Talked with the clerk and it was stated that they are experiencing a parts shortage because of the covid 19 pandemic. They have two lots full of rvs. Only three units are available for sale. Many units are sidelined due to lack of repair parts. The repair part we wanted wasn't in stock. Ended up finding the plastic water heater plug in a kit with a wrench and teflon tape. This way DH can empty the hot water heater fast. The old metal plug took forever to empty out the tank. This explains why camp sites are full especialy on the weekends.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:54 PM   #2

Campgrounds and forest service disbursed camping areas are full across this country. Camper sales outpaced any previous year and smaller units sold out early.

One issue in Colorado is that people believed the sales person and auto manufacturer. A 6 cylinder engine may be listed to tow 5,000 - 7,000 pounds and I have seen some of these at 10,400' camped in Leadville, Co. Yesterday a local tow truck driver said he sees a lot of these larger trailers being towed by smaller cars alongside the road because of overheating and inadequate transmission coolers.

For myself and camping friends we recommend towing a trailer that is 1/2 the auto dealer's recommended maximum. I consider the proper hitch with a sway bar a necessity. Of course we routinely tow on highways and byways over 10,000'. Stay low and slow and you should be good.

RICHARD1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
sam

Default Length of trailers

I saw the parade of 32 to 35ft. trailers pulling into the campground. They want to take the house with them!!
sam is offline   Reply With Quote