Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
sam

Default Vacation and roof problems

We had a five day vacation to Darien Lake state park. Three miles away is Darien Lake theme park. Our event is called Kingdom Bound,64thousand people attended. Our activities are at the theme park. This our 23yr. going. Sunday we had very heavy rains for three hrs. We were Hi and dry. Stopped at the dump station and I noticed a four inch tear where our rubber roof turns to meet the fiberglass. Had previousley patched along this same side ,different rip. I can feel some exterior wet underlay. Probably some delamination. On the inside ceiling two small areas of interior ceiling wrinkle. Bottom line the 22 yr. old rubber roof is worn out,very tired. What should we do? Stopped at our HiLo dealer for advice. We could just use some wide long rolls of EPDM rubber roof patch along the edges( about $60.00). Second proposed option. Have the dealer overlay 1/8th underlay and lay down a new rubber roof right over the old one. Cost $2,600 plus the cost of underlay and tax. Called and spoke with JR repair. Rob suggested a total tearout,interior ceiling and exteriorrubber roof. They would treat the rusted metal and laminate a metal roof on. Cost is $3,500 for foam underlay and other needed supplies. 1yr warranty. The HiLo Classic is a 1990 25ft. I don't think the HiLo is worth all this money for roof repairs given it is 22 yrs. old. Any thoughts appreciated. DH doesn't want to tackle this repair as we have no garage to put it in to work on it. I was thinking of buying wide externabond tape and just doing the total exterior roof with this. I would search the net for prices. Some one in our HiLo Clus is giving us an exterior cover. The Lo experience of owning a HiLo. Just like owning a house,the roof doesn't last forever.The HiLo performed flawlessly. Got a little nervous at home because the REF.took a day and one/half to cool off pretrip. Our furnice and Ac worked perfect. Had to turn the AC down low so as not to have your teeth chatter.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #2

The rubber roof shouldn't have worn out. Do you know if any petroleum based cleaners/sealers were used? Was the roof bubbled up slightly anywhere? Regardless, a roll of eternabond down each flank will patch you up fairly affordably. I think $2500 for a rubber roof over the old one sounds like a pretty good deal but only if you can afford it and think it's worth it.

Fireballsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #3
sam

Default Roof problems

No petroleum based products were used by us. Only products by dicor for rubber roofs. The rubber roof has some waves in it. We plan on keeping the trailer. The life expectency for a rubber roof is only ten yrs. We'll probably just patch the sides and keep on camping.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
gus

Default liquid roof

my trailer has some small leaks and I found this product, proguard liquid roof, 1 gallon should cover 1/2 of the roof, they sell for around $80 a gallon, not much skill is needed to apply, just mask the area that you don't want to go over and apply with a roller or brush, takes couple of days to dry, fully cures in a week, since I fixed mine with this product I haven't had more leeks.
Pro Guard Coatings The Manufacturer of Liquid Roof and Liquid Rubber
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #5

We used to go to Darien Lake when the kids were small, we really enjoyed it there. We liked the campground that was right there with the park. I guess we all graduated to Cedar Point when they got bigger. It also has the campground next to the park. You can walk into the park both places, come back to the campground at any time and eat or rest for a while, then go back to the park. And you don't have to eat the high priced unhealthy food in the park either.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Sam,
Sorry to hear about your leak problem, I know that you and hubby put a lot of work into the inside. I am sure that after seeing the work that you hubby did that he could replace the rubber roof. Problem is that you need a place to do it inside, but could be done outside, just have to cover and uncover a lot. Here is a place that sells EPDM rubber roof material. Check it out or do a Google search for epdm rubber roof. Patch for now and repair later.
WHITE EPDM Roofing Membrane, 60 mil, 10 feet wide (per foot)
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
sam

Default Roof problems

Gus,Thanks for the liquid roof website information. I will show it to dh. Pop Richie 77,Thank you for the EPDM -Roof website information. My gut feeling is DH could do this repair if he choose to. It is a tremendous amt. of work and could be done outside with a lot of covering and uncovering. However dh is up to his eyeballs with our to do list a home and way too many things that need fixing at church. I've learned in 26 yrs of marriage if dh doesn't want to do something it will be a disaster if his heart isn't in it. Rich R. Darien Lake theme park and their campground have really changed. Commercialization at its best. A small cup of dots ice cream is five dollars. Four days of camping and admission to the theme park is $800.00 and that is with you providing your own trailer. That is why we have been going three miles down the road to the state park. Only 123.00 for five nights. We aren't into amusement rides. I'm happy with a campfire and my preloved preenjoyed Leaky roof HiLo. New York State has a program for disabled persons. Our daughter qualifies due to her Autism. She gets a pass for the state Park and we only end up paying three dollars a night for the electric and if I remember correctly a registration fee. Can't beat this perk!! I used to qualify for this due to my Physical disability. Then our "Brilliant " governor took away lots of the classifications. This was to save thousands of dollars. I would have to be in a wheel chair to now qualify. Most people on Social Security Disability have low incomes and used this benefit to enjoy life a little bit. What he didn't take into account is that we buy extra groceries,gasoline and spend money on museum fees ect. However if I go to a Psychiatrist and get pills for depression then I would qualify. Back injuries,limited walking distances,heart problems ect don't qualify. Anyway,thanks for the advice on our roof problems.