Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Lifestyle > Off Topic Lounge
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Off Topic Lounge For friendly, professional, informal exchange of non Hi-Lo topics. No politics or religion topics please.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #1

Default Watching an Event Unfold Like a Fly on the Wall

First, I would like to say that it warms my heart when I see so many RVers buy older Hi-Los and subsequently remodel them or with a little TLC bring them back to their prior glory days like new. In addition, these remodels and on-going maintenance keep J & R and Midget RV in business, which I think we all can agree is a good thing. But I'm always looking and reading to see what is presently out there on the market with a similar concept of low profile towing (sans tent campers) and to see how Hi-Lo's former competitors are presently succeeding in the post-great recession economy, in particular, TrailManor's new RISE.

During the above process, I thought I would stop in to read TrailManor's forum. All I can say is that it is a hornet's nest! There is no need for me to repeat here the trials and tribulations of those owners and prospective owners; you can read it yourself; but you need to get yourself a cup of coffee, Google "TrailManor forum," go to the heading "Prospective Owners Questions," and then click on "TrailManor Update." There is no doubt that I was a little jealous during the "Great Recession" when I read that TrailManor got a large infusion of money from an investor to keep the company afloat, especially since we had just purchased a new Hi-Lo in 2009, the year before Hi-Lo made the decision to close up shop.

Dee
Summerville, SC
2009 Hi-Lo Classic 2509

Dee Tillotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Tillotson View Post
First, I would like to say that it warms my heart when I see so many RVers buy older Hi-Los and subsequently remodel them or with a little TLC bring them back to their prior glory days like new. In addition, these remodels and on-going maintenance keep J & R and Midget RV in business, which I think we all can agree is a good thing. But I'm always looking and reading to see what is presently out there on the market with a similar concept of low profile towing (sans tent campers) and to see how Hi-Lo's former competitors are presently succeeding in the post-great recession economy, in particular, TrailManor's new RISE.

During the above process, I thought I would stop in to read TrailManor's forum. All I can say is that it is a hornet's nest! There is no need for me to repeat here the trials and tribulations of those owners and prospective owners; you can read it yourself; but you need to get yourself a cup of coffee, Google "TrailManor forum," go to the heading "Prospective Owners Questions," and then click on "TrailManor Update." There is no doubt that I was a little jealous during the "Great Recession" when I read that TrailManor got a large infusion of money from an investor to keep the company afloat, especially since we had just purchased a new Hi-Lo in 2009, the year before Hi-Lo made the decision to close up shop.

Dee
Summerville, SC
2009 Hi-Lo Classic 2509
Wow! I'm not sure if a Hornets Nest is correct. The term I would use is not acceptable on forums.

1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #3

Check my post and photos from a few months ago when I saw the "rise" at our local RV show. I'll have to go check out the forum.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:29 PM   #4

Garry, X2. I thought message number 103 dated 4/12/2016 was particularly enlightening!!

Dee
Old 04-20-2016, 02:47 PM   #5

hilltool, I remember your photos and message. It seems the company was pushing for orders of the RISE at the expense of the tried and true TrailManor. They needed the profits from the TrailManor to support the research and development of the RISE. I think they got the cart before the horse. They seem to have ignored their loyal customer base--bad business decision.

Dee
Old 04-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
Site Team

And, I'm glad again that I don't own a TrailManor. Thanks, Dee!

- Jack
Old 04-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the suggestion. Quite the read! There was a trailmanor that pulled into a campground that I over-nighted in on my way back through Kansas. I sort of snuck a few glances the next morning as they packed up to leave and I had to admit that they seemed to drop it and get on the road as quick as I did-----until I remembered that I didn't see how long it took them inside to de-construct the bathroom walls and cabinets etc before they came outside to finish. Rick

4x4
Old 04-20-2016, 04:21 PM   #8

hilltool, quite right as to deconstruction when breaking camp. However, when there is a family, say two or three children, and the parents are in their 20s, 30s, or 40s (parents are having their children later nowadays), the TrailManor is ideal for families; in my opinion, they are for families with a lot of physical energy and a lot of deconstructing is secondary to them and the TrailManor provides a lot of sleeping room. And they don't have to dry the camper out when they reach home after camping in rain. In other words, different strokes for different folks.

Dee
Old 04-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #9

Haven't looked at them closely, Dee. But I agree they have a lot more room. Now go check out the new HI-LO. Hope we don't see the same type stories with this new HI-LO company.

4x4
Old 04-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Tillotson View Post
Garry, X2. I thought message number 103 dated 4/12/2016 was particularly enlightening!!

Dee
DEE; Are you and Beach going to the the HiLo rally in TX? Hope to see you there. Are you coming north this summer. Come by if you do. Has Beach gotten past his medical problems? Jim
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #11

JimL, I sent you an open message under "2016 Hi-Lo Rally." That message will answer your questions and give you our e-mail address and phone number. We hope you are doing well. Beach has a doctor's appointment Monday for a little hip problem; he's been doing strenuous work only a man in his 30s or 40s should be doing; he's stubborn and does not know his limitations for his age. Tell Faye hello for us.

Dee
Old 04-21-2016, 11:20 PM   #12

Hilltool, X2. The target market for the new Hi-Lo seems to be the same market the A-liner and Chalet are in. A while back somewhere I read that some of the Snyder family members were visiting the new Hi-Lo location supposedly to assist the new company (or new Hi-Lo product) in getting off the ground. Just love the new company on-line brochure. I have not had the time yet to peruse the entire publication, but it has the aroma of nostalgia which I think the new owner's company theme has been even before he purchased Hi-Lo's intellectual property. As an example, he also manufactures the little retro Scotty which I remember seeing the original on the road when I was child. Since he seems not to be shy about asking for assistance and advice from those who built the Hi-Lo in the past, I have confidence the new company will work out all right. Thanks for providing the website; I love it and someone who knows how should provide the citation for the website in our forum library.

Dee