Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 04-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to GiGi
Default 1987 Hi-Lo Fun Chaser won't raise

Hi all! I've read all of the threads on this but there doesn't seem to be a direct answer unfortunately. The trailer is level. The battery is brand new. I checked the hydraulic fluid level and it's perfect. I pull the cable, the light turns read and toggle the switch up. I hear the solenoid engage, but the motor does not run; however, the motor doesl run when the switch is toggled down, which I know it's not supposed to. I just bought it a week and when I was picking it up, when the seller went to lower it, the motor ran. He said it wasn't supposed to do that, it's gravity fed. He finally got it to lower without the motor engaging. I thought it was a fluke, but apparently not. The trailer came with no manual. I'm thinking it has to do what that security bar hanging up and not releasing, needing to be lubed, or some other issue. I'm about ready to put it in the paper and take a loss Thoughts?

GiGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #2

I have an 85 funchaser.
YOu will need to go up until it tops, then, while pulling release, toggle the switch to lower.

So does it raise when toggled to the down position.
The owner was correct it only powers when going up. gravity by solenoid to go down.

since it a 87 I am sure that a PO wired something wrong.
No manual here either.

Gigi is my dachshund's name!

steve

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:32 PM   #3

Refer to this 1990 manual it is similar to your units. http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-classic-2016/

Before you get much further crawl under the trailer and clean and lube the guide bar that parallels the hydraulic piston. Not keeping that clean and lubed can result in the top not moving up and down properly and can cause damage to the lift system. That is a maintenance must do.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoites View Post
I have an 85 funchaser.
YOu will need to go up until it tops, then, while pulling release, toggle the switch to lower.

So does it raise when toggled to the down position.
The owner was correct it only powers when going up. gravity by solenoid to go down.

since it a 87 I am sure that a PO wired something wrong.
No manual here either.

Gigi is my dachshund's name!

steve
Hi Steve! The top will not raise at all. The solenoid clicks when you toggle it up, but the motor does not run. The odd thing is is if you toggle down, the motor runs and will lower it, which it's not supposed to do. I really think it's that security bar, but I have no idea where it is. The trailer went up for the guy I bought it from, so I think it's an intermittent issue. Am wondering if there is a way to manually raise it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
Refer to this 1990 manual it is similar to your units. http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-classic-2016/

Before you get much further crawl under the trailer and clean and lube the guide bar that parallels the hydraulic piston. Not keeping that clean and lubed can result in the top not moving up and down properly and can cause damage to the lift system. That is a maintenance must do.
I downloaded the manual - thank you so much! But, I have no idea where to find the guide bar and the manual doesn't describe where to find it or the security bar (same thing?). The picture makes it hard to even tell what I'm looking for LOL. I'm pretty bummed - I was so excited when I bought it - am probably going to put it in the paper now
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #5

GiGI
There is NO issue with the locking bar. It doesn't function, and cannot lock in the down position.
I think your pump is wired incorrectly. It may be as simple as changing the polarity on the pump wires. But don't attempt this until you are sure
Does the pump produce foam, or air bubbles, in the pump well? Does the pump well have fluid?
Have you bothered to look under the trlr. You will find the lock mechanism directly adjacent to the step/door.

If you are not mechanically inclined I would suggest you purchase a newer trlr.

I am and had many problems with mine that I have rectified. You will most certainly need to get your hands dirty while owning a 27 year old trlr!
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #6

There should be a wire loop that sticks out near where the switches are. When putting the top down, pull out on the loop and that releases the safety bar. If it does not want to pull out try raising the top to let the weight off the bar, then pull the loop and hit the down switch. The guide bar is under the trailer, if you look under just behind the door and near the axles you will see the hydraulic cylinder, next to it and parallel is the guide rod. That needs to be cleaned and lubed. If it is bent it can cause serious problems.

Watch the video manual, Videos 5 and 34, and you will see what I have discussed. http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
There should be a wire loop that sticks out near where the switches are. When putting the top down, pull out on the loop and that releases the safety bar. If it does not want to pull out try raising the top to let the weight off the bar, then pull the loop and hit the down switch. The guide bar is under the trailer, if you look under just behind the door and near the axles you will see the hydraulic cylinder, next to it and parallel is the guide rod. That needs to be cleaned and lubed. If it is bent it can cause serious problems.

Watch the video manual, Videos 5 and 34, and you will see what I have discussed. http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/
I can't get the top up at all, which is the issue lol. The loop pulls, the red light comes on. It sounds like it's engaging and pulling the bar (I hear a clunk). I'm thinking it's a lube issue. I'll check out the videos - thank you much for helping
Old 04-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

It's not necessary to pull the safety bar release cable when raising the top. The release cable is only for lowering the top. It should go up just by pushing the up switch. The solenoid is either bad or wired incorrectly.
I assume that you have the master switch in the correct position?
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #9

You don't need to pull the loop to raise the top, just when lowering. Sorry, I forgot that your original post was a raising issue, not lowering.

Pop and I are thinking at the same time.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 04-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
It's not necessary to pull the safety bar release cable when raising the top. The release cable is only for lowering the top. It should go up just by pushing the up switch. The solenoid is either bad or wired incorrectly.
I assume that you have the master switch in the correct position?
Quote:
You don't need to pull the loop to raise the top, just when lowering. Sorry, I forgot that your original post was a raising issue, not lowering.

Pop and I are thinking at the same time.
Ah-ha! Well then I'm thinking it's the solenoid, as it has raised it and now won't cooperate lol. I live in Vegas - would you know if this a standard starter-type solenoid? The solenoid clicks but the motor won't actuate, but the motor runs if you toggle down which it isn't supposed to do. I still need to get under there and lube that bar. I believe this trailer was sitting in storage for quite a while.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #11

Try this to make sure the motor works and the hydraulics work. First make sure that the battery negative terminal wire is firmly attached to the pump. Then take a jumper cable and attach it to the positive terminal on the battery, then take the other end of that cable an firmly hold it on the motor terminal, the motor should run and the top should go up. This eliminates all the wiring and the solenoid. Post back if the top goes up, then I will tell you how to check the solenoid.
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi View Post
Ah-ha! Well then I'm thinking it's the solenoid, as it has raised it and now won't cooperate lol. I live in Vegas - would you know if this a standard starter-type solenoid? The solenoid clicks but the motor won't actuate, but the motor runs if you toggle down which it isn't supposed to do. I still need to get under there and lube that bar. I believe this trailer was sitting in storage for quite a while.
GiGi,
Take a look at this document attached it explains a lot about how the lift mechanism works and also has some troubleshooting ideas, look at section 7.9.
Also you might want to check and make sure the manual lowering valve is adjusted correctly. To me it sounds like you are able to raise the trailer but having a problem lowering.
If you do a search on this site you will find a lowering valve adjustment procedure as well.
Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2001_Hi-Lo_Owners_Manual_3_of_4.pdf (4.00 MB, 33 views)
Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #13

If it is the solenoid, they can be found at auto parts stores. Just take the old one with you to the store so they can match it.
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 04-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #14

Your first post indicated that the top will not go up. You indicated that the solenoid just clicks when you toggle up. This indicates that the battery is low or poor connections of the positive or negitive cables between the battery and pump motor. The pump motor pulls so much power that you must have a good battery with a full charge and good battery cable connections. Make sure you have a good battery. Take it out and to a auto parts store and they can check for free. You can try to jump from your auto to the battery but if your battery is bad it may pull so much power from the auto that the top still won't go up. Make sure that the battery is good and good connections. If you know what you are doing PopRichie is correct about jumping directly to the pump motor. The pump should not run when lowering, this could be a wire connected wrong. If the previous owner got the top to go up and down when you bought it, give him a call and see if he can help. Plugging the power cord from the trailer into the tow vehicle will NOT help if your battery is bad or low as the power cable cannot carry the power needed to run the pump motor. I also sent you a private message.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaP View Post
GiGi,
Take a look at this document attached it explains a lot about how the lift mechanism works and also has some troubleshooting ideas, look at section 7.10.
Also you might want to check and make sure the manual lowering valve is adjusted correctly. To me it sounds like you are able to raise the trailer but having a problem lowering.
If you do a search on this site you will find a lowering valve adjustment procedure as well.
Hope this helps.
PappaP, Take a look at his first post, He can't get the top to go up.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopRichie77 View Post
Try this to make sure the motor works and the hydraulics work. First make sure that the battery negative terminal wire is firmly attached to the pump. Then take a jumper cable and attach it to the positive terminal on the battery, then take the other end of that cable an firmly hold it on the motor terminal, the motor should run and the top should go up. This eliminates all the wiring and the solenoid. Post back if the top goes up, then I will tell you how to check the solenoid.
Voila! This did the trick Went right up bypassing the solenoid and wiring. Ready for my next lesson - how to check the solenoid lol
Old 04-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #17

JimL,
Yes, I understand he originally posted it would not go up. But in his last post he was sounding like it raised and was now not cooperating to lower?

So yes it does sound like the solenoid, if it is intermittently not raising. Just trying to add a little more to help those in need to understand the operations.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Voila! This did the trick Went right up bypassing the solenoid and wiring. Ready for my next lesson - how to check the solenoid lol
Great sounds like your on the right path now. In the manual it says to use a heavy jumper wire to jump between the two larger solenoid terminal posts and if the motor runs then the solenoid is defective. This was from the manual I attached earlier, section 7.9.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #19

I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone jumping in to help out! It does appear to be the solenoid (crossing fingers not wiring). The only thing I do well with wiring is get shocked I have a drag and an off-road race this weekend, and was pretty sad it was looking like I wasn't going to be able to take it. Now I just have to figure out if it the solenoid or ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappaP View Post
JimL,
Yes, I understand he originally posted it would not go up. But in his last post he was sounding like it raised and was now not cooperating to lower?

So yes it does sound like the solenoid, if it is intermittently not raising. Just trying to add a little more to help those in need to understand the operations.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #20

Are you sure the solenoid clicks when you push the up button? Do you know how to use a volt meter and do you have one? Have you tried what PappaP said as that is what I was going to tell you to do? Just replace the solenoid is probably your best bet.
However I do suspect a wiring problem as the pump motor should not run when you lower the top.
Also I am going to add that the test for the solenoid assumes that everything is wired correctly.

(2510 ) - 2010 25'