Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 09-10-2020, 12:18 PM   #21

The cover is something like this only it's white enamel and thinner.
https://www.adventurerv.net/odyssey-...tsfeed_organic

LaurieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #22
Site Team

Interesting. I can see this might be helpful, and I didn't know such a thing existed. We use a large cutting board on top of the stove for the same purpose.

Black seems an odd color - I think white IS better.

What about this one? It's kinda pricey, but it's white: https://www.etrailer.com/Kitchen-Acc.../CAM43557.html

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #23

Thanks Jack!
The white one is prettier than the black one. If I have a chance I will take a pic of the one we found inside the storage drawer.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #24

That popping can be caused by the heads of screws backing out of one or more of the guide rails and then gettting caught on the guide block until the hydraulic ram's force snaps the head of the screws off. Those guide rail screws are a pain in the neck to keep tight. The worst ones for loosening are usually at the bottom of the guide rails because the top in the lowered travel position rocks against the lower part of the rails as the trailer is towed and loosens the screws. One fix is to remove any loose screws, drive a dowel coated with wood glue into the hole and then wait for it to dry. Later drill a pilot hole and then reinsert the old screw.
HiLoToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:00 PM   #25

Hi! Thanks so much for the info. Our issue turned was that my husband was pulling the cord while trying to raise the camper.

That being said, I was reading your post to my husband and told him that this thing with the screws has been mentioned a couple of times and asked if if he knew where the guide rails or these screws are. He does not. We have only had the trailer since Sunday, got home late Monday and he went back to work Tuesday, so he hasn't had much time to really look the trailer over, other than to make sure he didn't bend the safety bar when he was pulling the cord when raising the trailer.

If at all possible, would you mind linking a pic of where these screws are on the trailer? The highways between Florida and South Carolina were REALLY terrible and we are concerned that these screws could be loose.

I appreciate your help!
Thanks - Laurie and Dan
Old 09-11-2020, 07:47 AM   #26

I am new to this forum and do not see how to attach a picture and only links but there is channels on the lower side that it rides up and down on .
Lwwilltravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:56 AM   #27

Thank you! I am new here too.
I will tell Dan where to look.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #28
Site Team

Laurie - if you or your Husband looks on both lower half's of the sides of the trailer, with the top UP, you will see two vertical channels or "tracks" that run from the bottom of the trailer and disappear under the top. If you look under the edge of the top, where the track disappears under it, you will be able to see a black. plastic block that rides on the track as the top goes up and down. These are the "guide blocks" that can sometimes break and fall off.

The tracks, of course, are fastened to the sides of the trailer with screws and if these back out, the blocks will catch on them and be damaged. The screws should be inspected now and then.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #29

Thank you!
Very descriptive, I am sure once I read this to Dan, he will know exactly where and what to look for.

I appreciate ALL of the help from EVERYONE here!
Have a GREAT Weekend!
Laurie and Dan

P.S. If you have any other pointers or tips for things that are common, but cause problems, please share them with me. I will share with Dan.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #30

Just so it's clear, without pulling the rest-stop pull-cable out, raise the top until you hear a clank. That is the top going by the rest-stop. If it doesn't clank, you might have to use the manual pump a couple of pumps. (This up movement can be adjusted by I have never done it.) After you hear the clank, lower the top until it stops on the rest-stop. That takes the tension off the lift cables and prevents any stretching that prolonged tension in the up position might cause.
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieL View Post
Hi Everyone!
Brand new to Camper ownership and am looking forward to being part of this community.

I do need a bit of help though.

We purchased our camper this weekend, drove from South Carolina to Florida, picked it up, went to a RV park, everything went fine. We hooked it up this a.m. and drove 600 miles back to SC. No problems, went off without a hitch.

We get home, my husband unhooks it, tries to raise it and this is what happened. We were told by the previous owner to pull the cable located at the raise/lower switch. he pulled the cable, started to raise it and he heard a pop and then the door jumped. It did start to go up, but after hearing that pop noise and the door jumping he was a afraid to go further. At that point he lowered it back down. Then the cable felt like it was jammed. A little while later, when I came out, he tried again and it did the same thing.

To me it sounded like it was caught on something, then I heard a pop and it started to go up.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

The trip went smoothly as far as no incidents, but many of the roads were bumpy (I-95 in South Carolina) is a nightmare mess!

Look at the cables and pulleys, most likely you have some broken pulleys and or worn cable. Contact the Hilo site under https://hilotrailerparts.webs.com/
tulllosdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #32

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Just so it's clear, without pulling the rest-stop pull-cable out, raise the top until you hear a clank. That is the top going by the rest-stop. If it doesn't clank, you might have to use the manual pump a couple of pumps. (This up movement can be adjusted by I have never done it.) After you hear the clank, lower the top until it stops on the rest-stop. That takes the tension off the lift cables and prevents any stretching that prolonged tension in the up position might cause.
The clank is actually the safety bar that keeps the top from falling down on you while you are inside the trailer. Cables will still stretch if you keep the top up for an extended period of time.
RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieL View Post
Hi Jack!
It's UP!! It went up with no further problems. Thank goodness nothing was damaged.

I am sure I will be back for a lot more info!
Thanks for your help!
-Laurie and Dan
What did your husband do to fix the problem? Your response is very helpful to the rest of us that are not mechanics.
Lgullyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #34

Hi!
He stopped pulling the cord before raising it. The person we purchased it from told Dan that he needed to pull the cord both while raising or lowering it. It is possible that Dan misunderstood though.

I accidently hit the un-subscribe link to this thread just now. I hope I will be able to find this thread again.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:01 PM   #35

Thank you! I will share this with Dan.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:03 PM   #36

We did find the screws and made sure they were all tight.

Thanks for this, we had no idea.

Tags
issue, lowering top, noise, problem, raising