Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 08-20-2011, 09:12 AM   #1

Default 1992 towlite won't go down

this trailer has been sitting in my back yard for 15 years in the up position, i am moving and need to move the trailer, i put a battery in and pressed the up switch(heard the motor) and pulled the safty (heard the safty release) pushed the switch down and nothing, i don't have any instructions as what to do, Help!

swbsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbsam View Post
this trailer has been sitting in my back yard for 15 years in the up position, i am moving and need to move the trailer, i put a battery in and pressed the up switch(heard the motor) and pulled the safty (heard the safty release) pushed the switch down and nothing, i don't have any instructions as what to do, Help!
Good Lord! Rusted? Frozen? Could be anything, but, there's a manual release valve on the side of the pump/reservoir. Look for a lever or other small part sticking out that you can turn or move somehow. There's another recent post here about this thing - in your case it might have red dots on it?

Anyway, with someone else pulling the safety release FIRST (while the weight is off the bar), try moving/twisting that lever/knob. This manually opens the valve to let hydraulic fluid flow back into the reservoir. It's possible your electrical valve control is not working.

- Jack

Old 08-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #3

here are some pictures can you tell me what i'm looking for because i can't see anything other then that big black knob.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #4

i had someone get under the trailer while i played with the switch and safty, he said that it looked like maybe the black rubber line was cracked and showed signs of leaking... if the fluid leaked out then what?
Old 08-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to thermonieum
Default guide rod

if its been sitting that long in the up position, i wouldn't do anything until i cleaned the guide rod real well and lubed it liberally. i would also use liberal amounts of wd-40 on all the cables and pulleys for a day or two before i tried to lower it again, but thats just me
98 Jeep Cherokee
01 Explorer Sport Trac
thermonieum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #6
Site Team

The release lever (manual control) is the rod sticking out of the square box (on the right side in both pictures) which runs parallel to the black tank. This is different than mine, but I understand it "moves" somehow.

I agree with others though, before trying to lower the top I'd get under the trailer and check everything out. You may have some rusted pulleys that are simply not turning. Probably could free them, if this is the case, with penetrating oil.

Edit: the "big black knob" is the filler cap for the reservoir.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #7

The hydraulic fluid flows from the pump to the cylinder that lifts the top thru the metal tube and also returns to the pump thru the same metal tube when you lower the top. The plastic or rubber tube is to return any fluid to the pump that may leak past a worn seal/o-ring on the piston in the cylinder to prevent a liquid lock which would prevent the top from raising if the fluid were trapped behind the piston. In other words you could cut the plastic/rubber tube in two and it would not affect the lifting or lowering of the top. If the manual lowering valve will not lower the top, have someone press the lift switch to the up position, pump running, and open and close the manual valve a quarter turn or so several time to dislodge any obstruction that might be blocking the orfice in the manual valve. Good luck and keep working.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #8

thanks everyone for all the info. I had someone get under the trailer and I kept playing with the switch, the guy under the trailer was tapping the flat piece that is connected to the piston with a hammer ( my feeling was that the piston was just frozen and just needed something to free it) after what seemed like 5 minutes of this the top started down, it is now working fine and I was able to get it moved
Old 08-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermonieum View Post
if its been sitting that long in the up position, i wouldn't do anything until i cleaned the guide rod real well and lubed it liberally. i would also use liberal amounts of wd-40 on all the cables and pulleys for a day or two before i tried to lower it again, but thats just me
It is good to hear that you got it to work. As mentioned above, be sure and very importantly, get everything cleaned and lubed to help prevent any other problems.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 AM   #10

Default I am amazed

that after 15 yr that the old bird would move at all
love them hilos
bluewindsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to thermonieum

if it has been sitting that long in the up position, have you considered using or selling it???
98 Jeep Cherokee
01 Explorer Sport Trac
thermonieum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #12

like many other things that didn't get used that much, i think the saying goes.. use it or loose it... the tralier is going to my X what she does with it is her business....
Old 05-15-2019, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbsam View Post
here are some pictures can you tell me what i'm looking for because i can't see anything other then that big black knob.

I have the same pump and the manual relief lever broke off and can't find the part. Help please

Cflack91 is offline   Reply With Quote