Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 04-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #1

Default 1998 31 ft HI-LO wont raise

My motor runs and lid will start to rise for about an inch the stops. The motor is still running sounds fine not binding or anything. When I release the raising switch if fall back down. I tried to manual lift with the pump handle but it never gets firm like there is no pressure building. There is no fluid leaking anywhere. Any help would be great

testy5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like it could be a low fluid state? With the top down, the fluid level should be within 1" of the top of the reservoir if memory serves me correctly.

You have to be somewhat creative to check the fluid level. I've used a bentover drinking straw as a dipstick.

You'd probably have to be a bit creative to add fluid too, with the top down. I think I used a funnel and a length of neoprene tubing.

If you need to add fluid, use Dextron. My manual says Dextron II, but the closest I could find was Dextron III. It works fine, as I suspect would Dextron IV or V (if the numbers go that high now).

If the fluid level is good, you likely have a valve seal problem, which would probably require a disassembly for replacement. I've not done this, so I can't help you with that.

- Jack

Old 04-05-2015, 05:59 PM   #3

Jack is correct about fluid level. Check that first. Next, there are two lowering valves on the pump, the solenoid valve that releases pressure when you press the down switch and a manual lowering valve to use if the solenoid goes bad or the battery is dead. Check the manual valve first to see that it is closed and not partially open. If a piece of trash in the fluid has gotten caught in the needle and seat of either of the lowering valves then no pressure can build up to raise the top. To try and clean any trash from the valves search the forum on how to correct top creep for the instructions. If both valves are closing ok then check to see if fluid is bypassing the piston in the ram. The fluid goes to the ram thru a metal (high pressure) line to raise the top and returns thru the same line when you lower the top. There is a clear plastic vent line connected to the other end of the ram that goes back to the pump reservoir. This vents air to and from the low pressure side of the ram piston. You may see some fluid in the low spots in this line which is normal. No fluid should flow thru this line. If you run the pump to raise the top and you see fluid running in this line then the seal on the ram piston has blown and must be replaced. Next, there is a pressure relief valve in the pump that opens when the top is fully up to prevent over pressureing the system and damaging the lift system. This valve is adjustable to set the opening pressure when the top is up. If someone has fooled with this adjustment and lowered the opening pressure then the top would not raise. Of course the pump could have gone bad but these pumps have been very reliable. If you need more help then lets talk on the phone. Check your private message for my ph#. If you do find the problem do let us know here on the forum what it was.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #4

Testy: Another thing that could be causing the top to not raise and should be checked first. Has something gotten caught between the top and side of the lower section that is preventing the top from going up. Check the guides on the side of the trailer to make sure one has not broken and jammed the top. I have heard that one of the screws that secure the guide rail to the lower section can back out and jam against the rail guide on the top half. You could have a cable that has slipped off of a pulley and jammed between the pulley and the frame. If a cable has broken, when you try to raise the top three corners will try to raise and one will not and jam the top. Good luck.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote