Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 05-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #1

Default Cable fabrication

Any one have tips on making a set of cables. I down loaded the awesome cable installation pdf from David Ward and it clears up most questions, but Im on a budget here and was hoping to do it all myself. The only part Im not sure about is if there is a DIY method for getting the threaded rods on to the ends of the cables for the tensioning bolts.

donkylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkylegs View Post
Any one have tips on making a set of cables. I down loaded the awesome cable installation pdf from David Ward and it clears up most questions, but Im on a budget here and was hoping to do it all myself. The only part Im not sure about is if there is a DIY method for getting the threaded rods on to the ends of the cables for the tensioning bolts.
I recall a few posts where forum members manufactured their own cables. The big question on that was what type of end to put on the cables...the swedge or the one you can tighten with a wrench. Might have to do a search for it.

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #3

After searching and pricing the cables for my 1985 last year I decided that purchasing the pre-fab cables from J&R was easily the most economical but also the safest and easiest way to go.

The threaded piece is obtainable from any good cable seller. Now you will need a good Swag tool, $100-500+. Then all of the fittings, thimbles and swags/collars, and cable cutter,($50/90). The tools at HD and Lowes are not the quality or correct sizes, I know because I tried that route first also.
Once you add all of the parts and tools, the cost is still not the most important piece of the pie. Swagging cable is not hard, but doing it correctly is a matter of safety above all else.
If you don't have this skill set it is best to let the experts do it. I have for many years swagged cables for hang gliders/aviation and know what I am doing. The safely level is serious at this level since death can be a result of improperly swagged cables.
If one of your cables fails it can lead to other cables being over stressed and cascading failure, resulting in trashing your trlr frame structure, and possibly injuring a family member.

This can be a DIY project, but even with my skill set, I preferred to purchase the correct length. The $ cost to do it correctly is better used on a non safety project in my experience and personal call.

If you decide to DIY buy very good tools and materials and practice. I am a DIY kind of guy and this is my personal and professional opinion.

There are places to DIY and I believe strongly this isn't the place or part.

Not trying to rain on your parade!

steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #4

I see that you are in Reno. See if there is a marine supply store in the Lake Tahoe area that makes cables for sailboats. Many of these make cables.
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

I found all of the parts I needed, including threaded rod to swag fitting.
But on inspection of all 4 cables I determined I only needed one cable.

But even if I had needed all 4, it still wasn't worth the tool cost and safety factor to not purchase pre-fab cables from J&R. Plus they have all of the measurements for my older year trlr.

The DIY method to mounting the cable to threaded rod is an expensive tool, or search out someone that will do just that part of your project. I have a very good cable outfit just 1 mile from my home.

YMMV

steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

I agree with what renoites says about making up cables, it is easier said than done.

If you purchase the cables you will receive ones that are the proper length. They are made right and it should save you a lot of time and messing around.

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote