Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 09-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #1

Default Cable Lubrication

I'm thinking that the last 3' or so of cable that is inaccessible (in the lower wall when the top is raised) gets the least amount of lubrication and is the most probable section to fail. How have you experienced HiLo owners lubed that section? Can anyone see a problem with me lubing the cable at the top pulley while my wife slowly lowers the top? I think I can get almost all of that last section that way. After learning that the top is always supported by the cables (even with the locking pin in place), I don't think it is any less safe for me to be in there while the top is being lowered (I'll be keeping out of the way as it comes down).
Darryl

camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

If you use an oil lubricant, you can put enough on it at the top, so that it will run all the way down to the bottom pulley.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #3

You can remove the wooden trim piece to expose the upper pulley and cable better. The wooden trim piece is attached by screws. Or just use a spray can with a spray tube and spray it down the cable from the top like PopRichie suggested. Some owners use WD40 to lube their cables. I prefer PB Blaster as a lubricant. Hope this helps.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #4

Default Lube Cables

Remove the wood trim, spray from the top. It will run down the cable. Spray the rest of the cable from under the HiLo. I use Break Free Lubricant from the hunting department in Walmart. It doesn't seem to pick up dirt. I do it once a year.

Dann Yeager
1705 HiLo
2008 Ford F-150
dannyeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #5

Well, I tried the lubing-while-lowering technique today, and it worked slick (pun intended). I removed the wood trim at the top of the bottom half of the trailer. The wife lowered the top slowly (bumping it down about an inch at a time) while I lubed (WD-40 with a straw) the cable as it passed over the upper pulley. I was able to get all of the section of cable that is inaccessible from under the trailer. Also shot WD-40 on the cables where they attach to the bottom of the top half (very accessible from the outside of the trailer).

When I went to re-attach the trim, I cut out about a 6" section of trim around each pulley (used a hack saw for a fine cut and thin kerf) and drilled and screwed them on separately. Now I will have easy access to the top pulleys in the future.

Darryl
camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #6

I have a Hi-Lo 1508 and have lubricated the cables and hydraulic cylinder according to the DVD that came with the trailer. The DVD said to lubricate the cable only under the trailer and to be careful how far you lubricate the cable. If you go too far the curtains will get oil on them. I have also read, on this forum, that people have been exposing the upper pulleys and oiling from the top. That goes against the DVD that I have. Does everyone have the same DVD or is it unique to my trailer?

Thank You

Johnnie

Johnnie is offline   Reply With Quote