Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 01-28-2019, 08:42 AM   #1

Default Cable off pulley

Pulled all trim boards to check Top pulleys and lube ..FR FL and RL all look and roll fine....RR cable has jumped out of pulley and has cut pretty good grove about <1/2"in pulley bracket ...Unavailable that top goes up and down OK..and is level and hits all pads at same time..Its either been that
way from day 1 or another owner never found out that it had jumped out and just made cable adjustments to level...Just a guess on last statement...What I have noticed that the Adjustment bolts (4) on drivers side between wheels all stick out about 3/4" except for the top R (which is for RR ) sticks out about 2"...(telling me some one has made major adjustments)..
sorry for long explain now for ???

Can I just block up top on pads about 20" and loosen that RR adjustment bolt and get enough slack to get cable ,back in place and or remove that pulley assembly and repair and or replace , if it don't roll free.and then readjust top..Thats the way it appears to me or am I missing something???
Guess I could remove a pulley underneath if that need be to get more slack..
Oh yes all the cable I have seen that rubbed looks great just shiny( unbelievable)
2001 22f td

cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Wow! It's good that you found that before more damage happened. You can certainly get enough slack in the cable to move it back on to the pulley by lowering onto blocks as you suggested. Once you have done that, loosen that cable's adjustment bolt, probably to the end, and then if you still can't get the cable into position, just unscrew the cable underneath the top half where it attaches to the top. That will completely free the cable. Once it is back on to the pulley, just reverse the steps you did to get the slack.

Make sure the pulley bracket has not been weakened too much by the cable cut. If it has, you should try to replace it or at least reinforce the damaged area. I've found that JB Weld is a miracle mending product for joining metal. You could possibly affix metal strips along the sides of the damaged area and also fill the cut with JB Weld.

- Jack

Old 01-28-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
sam

Default Cable off pully

DH has found it useful to take a sharpie marker and mark the bolts/screws before you unscrew them. Easy peasy to get them back in the starter position. Best of luck with this repair.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:03 AM   #4

Thx J&J an S....I got er done yesterday..Once I backed off on RR adj bolt a bunch, a couple inches I got enough slack to slip it back on pulley..There appears to be more than enough metal to support it , justa grove in it..I got a couple welders sitting around I could fix it permanently..Just gota take it out and do it if it gives me trouble...Still gota do a top alignment check but it all goes up and down smoothe
While I had them trim boards off I made a foot long +- inspection door over each pulley, a couple cuts and screws..So inspection and lube will be a snap
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:17 AM   #5
Site Team

cva34, just read your post and making lubing easier. Too late, but check out my post in the search box "two mods worked out". just a couple of holes in the cap boards.
Treeclimber
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #6

This is encouraging. Up here where the Polar Vortex lives and the ice storms roll through,seeing a repair question on the hilo site means its getting warm somewhere and people are starting to fix stuff . At least a month before it warms up enough for me to give stuff a go. First on list? A mouse nest somewhere that has been harboring the critters for two years now. My guess is under the paneling that is below the sink vanity or the ones covering up the toilet valve and plumbing run. Been picking them off one by one with traps but it is never enough. Its starting to feel like caddy shack.

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #7
Site Team

My "mouseproofing" with hardware cloth did the trick for me, hilltool. It was actually fairly easy, too.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #8

No doubt, Jack. I will give it a go. But trailer is in a barn shed with sub zero temps and I got to get them all out first before I seal them in. They won't be leaving home in this weather without a fight. Neither would I.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote