Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 03-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #1

Default Camper won't lift after setting two years

OK, I decided to start back on my project camper. It was an electrical nightmare a couple years ago before I gave it a rest. I pretty much had figured everything out and made a quick video explaining to myself what I had figured out so when I started back I couldn't be lost. Well, I can't find that video now. So, I can't get the lift motor to run. It simply clicks when I flip the switch. It's not been changed since I pulled it out two years ago. And I haven't let it charge, but simply plugged the shoreline up. Does it have to charge some before the motor will fully work?

motorpig2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #2

And the answer is.....Yes. I know someone would of replied, but I just went out and tried it again, after its charged for a few hours, and its lifting now. Yes! I was thinking I might just make a trailer out of it, if I was going to start with those problems again. Thank goodness its working now. Looking forward to this restoration.

motorpig2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #3

I believe the short answer is yes, it could take a couple of days, depending on your power converter. And, after sitting for 2 years, you might find you need a new battery.

Here's something I found on the internet that explains better than I can:

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

"Another question I was asked was: I know my converter is also a battery charger so why won’t it bring my discharged batteries back to a full charge?

RV converters do provide a charge to your RV house batteries, but only a small portion of the converters amperage rating is used for this. Normally 3 to 5 amps, which are not nearly enough to charge batteries that are discharged.

The converter battery charger is designed to keep the house batteries topped off with this trickle charge. Another problem with older RV converters is they charge at a fixed voltage in the range of 13.5 volts. If your batteries are fully charged this can be too much for a float charge and over time it will deplete the water level in the batteries cells. This is why it’s important to check the water level in your batteries on a regular basis, especially when you leave the RV plugged in for extended periods of time. You need a three stage charger that can provide a bulk charge then an absorption charge and finally a float charge. Newer RV converters on the market are capable of charging the batteries this way."
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #4

I'm glad you discovered the problem. The converter will not supply enough amperage to lift the top. The battery has to be sufficiently charged to accomplish that. If the battery was dead you will probably need to replace it because it may not accept or hold a charge.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote