Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #1

Default Can you "jump" the lift motor?

So I am out looking at my 2201tl and thinking I will just carry one of those encased emergency battery things in case I ever, for some reason, have both batteries go dead and I want to raise the top or have other auxillery power.. But, closer examination reveals that I don't think I could get cables onto the posts because I can only open the first portions of the battery compartment which only reveals the hydraulic system. So I am wondering- can I attach cables directly to the motor and get it to work that way? Yes, I have a manual option on it----but an extra battery seems like a more handy way to approach it.

rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #2

Default Battery

hilltool,
I purchased a used model 2805C Hi Lo. I don't know if the previous owner or Hi Lo installed this or not (probably tghe previous owner) but there are two terminals mounted on the side of my battery box. One marked "+" the other "-" and the respective wires run to the positive and negative battery terminals. I can only believe that it's for jumping purposes should you arrive and your Hi Lo battery is dead. It is a really neat idea and would not be hard to accomplish. I added covers to the terminals sticking out of the battery box so no one would mess with them. I've never had to use them but like you said with the Hi Lo in the down position I could not get to the battery to connect jummer cables.
God Bless
Papa

Papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #3

I don't think the emergency batteries would have enough capacity to raise the top unless it is the size of a car battery.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #4

I mounted a aircraft jumper plug-in connector to the side of the battery box so I can just plug in the jumper cables if needed. A similar setup is available for electric golf carts. Works great.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
sam

Default Jumper cable terminals

Could you post a picture? Where did you get your part?
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #6

Those are great ideas. I can actually imagine those terminals being handy if one just wanted to carry an extra battery or two for general dry camping or hooking up a solar charger while traveling. I've been thinking of fabricating something where I could mount a solar panel on the roof while towing and then remove it and be able to place it where I needed to while camping.

Still-back to the hook-up to the hydralic motor, I found a thread last night where somebody was trying to figure out why they could not get the camper to rise and a recommendation for testing the system was to attach a jumper cable directly to the positive on the lift motor and the negative to the base. So I'm thinking that could work. But, now I like the other ideas, too.

rick

4x4
Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #7

Default jump battery

My DH put terminals on the outside of the battery box so we could jump it off the car. I have also jumped it off with with the portable rechargeable battery.
Linda
lincow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #8
sam

Default Using jumper cables on the HiLo

I was just reminded by another HiLo owner that you can"t get access to the battery terminals with the HiLo in the down position. That is why some owners have come up with creative solutions.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to sting32

If you are familiar with automotive Starters and selenoids, like me a farmboy... Then I say, yeah it is easy enough to touch jumper cables to the positive wire on the pump motor, and the ground the a clean part of the pump motor. It draws a LOT of juice, and sparks fly, like an arc welder. you would have to take care that there is nothing flammable near you, let alone accidently touch close to the tank (poke a hole). Ihave done this on many engines, especially lawnmowers that refuse to crank with the key, mainly for diagnosis...

I prefer the idea of the connector for the battery, but your experience can vary drastically!@!
Old 05-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #10

Thanks

Actually,, I noticed a couple of terminals on the outside of my battery box, also. But, I assumed that what was connected to them wold be hot and when I put the voltmeter on it I got nothing. So I'm not totally sure what they are. next time I am out there I will take a camera and post pics.

4x4