Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 02-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

Default Charging System

Just got our first Hi lo last year. 1993 27 foot. Shake down cruise was a disaster. Fire in battery box/hydraulic pump. After cleaning up everything and trying it out, the pump still works. Here is my problems. All wiring burned. We have the schematic diagram from your library. Diagram says that charging wire goes to a block that says automatic?. Need to know if that block is a relay or breaker or some kind of switch. And whatever that part is, where do we get it? Would also like schematic diagram on charging system.
I would appreciate any help. Camping season is near. Thanks. Don

ddoonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #2

Hi Don
Welcome to the forum. That block labeled automatic is a circuit breaker that resets automatically if tripped. Did you really have a fire in the battery box or just melted the insulation off of the wires from a overload or short? Would help to know. A picture of the box would also help. Thru the years HiLo wired the systems in different ways and used different components but all except the oldest are close. Also owners have changed things around as they had problems. Thats why a picture would help. This should not be a difficult problem to fix. Coming off of that circuit breaker a wire goes to the breakaway switch which applies power to the breaks if the breakaway cable is pulled. If you pulled that cable and left power applied to the brakes for any period of time then this overload could have caused the insulation to melt off. I have sent you a private message so check your message box and get back with me.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #3

Don
That circuit breaker is a 30 amp breaker and can be purchased at any auto parts store.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #4

Default Charging system

The fire burned up the batteries, wires and everything around it except the hydraulic pump and reservoir. Jim came through with some much needed info. This is what I had to do. Replace subfloor of camper above fire, rebuilt door to compartment, replaced all wiring in that was in compartment, made new base that everything sits on, replaced battery and battery box. Replaced hydraulic hose, replaced solenoid, replaced circuit breaker, replaced hydraulic reservoir cap, cleaned up all soot damage and repainted inside compartment. When I say replace, most things were totally burned up so it wasn't replacing, it was starting over. Anyway, got everything back together and it works just fine. We are trying our second shakedown cruise over Easter weekend. I hope that we get further than ten miles from home this time. Thanks for the help. Don
Old 03-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
Site Team

Good luck, Don, and safe journeys!

You certainly had a more "interesting" shakedown cruise than most of us. But, challenges seem to be the norm. Eventually, you'll get all the bugs out and things will run smoothly. My problems were all associated with my tires, brakes, axle and tongue loading. I thought mine were bad, but I wouldn't trade for yours.

- Jack
Old 04-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #6

Default Second Shake Down Cruise

The second camping trip went a lot better. We went to Camp Creek, WV. It is a beautiful place and the people were very nice. We got quite a bit of rain but that was okay. We didn't have the WD Hitch on but we have it on for the trip next month. We did have a few more things to sort out. A valve in the commode was broken but ordered a new one and it will be here in a few days. It was thirty-five dollars on Ebay. There is something wrong with the
water tank valve and the fan in the air vent doesn't work. So there are a few more things to sort out. There usually is. We enjoyed the trip and we are looking forward to the next one. I hope I did the pictures right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hilo2.jpg (41.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg hilo1.jpg (38.0 KB, 36 views)
2011 Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 5.7L I Force, V8,
6 speed automatic, 2WD, weight distribution hitch.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
sam

Default second shake down cruise

Beautiful pictures. Glad this trip went much better. We usually have a repair list after each campout. I made a list so I wouldn't forget. Thankfully all our repairs are small. My insulated panel over the interior glass in the entry door fell down. The Velcro is tired. This time I bought some flat SM knock off flat picture hanging strips. Just need the weather to get better before my repairs can be completed. Our first campout is in May.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote