Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 10-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #1

Default Extreme Rear Trim Strip Sagging?

Howdy Folks! Ever since we bought our 1907T 6 years ago, we noticed that when the upper shell is completely raised, the upper shell trim doesn't match up with lower shell trim in the very rear of the trailer. Elsewhere else they do match up. The upper shell trim at the rear is 1 inch lower than the lower shell trim. See the 2 attached photos showing that forward of the door the trim pieces do correctly line up, but not rearward of the door. On the "driver's side" that has no door, the continuous upper trim runs from horizontal matching (4 feet from the rear corner) to ~1 inch lower at the rear corner. The entire length of the rear trim strip is ~1 inch lower. Could this be normal? The alignment issue seems not related to some major shell damage, because when the upper and lower doors are closed, everything is plumb and square, and doors operates normally. Any ideas? (Sorry about the tilted photos, but I can't make them go upright.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Forward of Door.jpg (124.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Rearward of Door.jpg (129.1 KB, 11 views)

Lou M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:02 PM   #2
Site Team

In the second picture you posted, the bulb seal (the black rubber thing you see between the upper and lower parts) seems to be touching the "lip" on the outside of the upper half. The lift is adjusted properly if the bulb seal is making good contact all the way around the trailer and the two trim pieces may not be flush if the seal is good.

It's hard to tell due to the shadows, but you MIGHT be able to raise that corner about 1/4" higher to get the bulb seal in better contact. If you raised the top enough to align the two trim pieces, you would probably put too much strain on the point where the lift cable wraps around the lower edge of the top half and it would likely distort the metal plate there, bending it into the edge of the top half. DO NOT raise the top too much! Just get the bulb seal in good contact.

Edit: I just looked at BOTH pictures again, and I have to say it appears you have a different kind of bulb seal than I have. I don't think mine has that long rectangular shape. And, it appears the seal in the first picture is fully covering the "lip" on the lower half. I wonder if a prior owner replaced the seal? Anyway, you might try raising that corner so that the seal makes the same contact as in the first picture. Before you do though, take a look and all the cable attachment points under the edge of the top all around the trailer. If you see any that have pulled into the edge, distorting the metal plate there, it's a sign that cable is raising the top too high.

- Jack

Old 10-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #3

Thanks JacknJanet. I'm concerned that raising the top shell will cause damage. BTW, I have problem that's maybe related to the top shell. The base cabinet located to the right of the door is no longer attached to the wall at the top. The long screws have ripped out, so the cabinet at top is now 3/8 inch inboard of the wall. The cabinet looks plumb and square to the floor. I'm guessing that the wall is buckled outward for some reason. I've tried to push it back in, but it doesn't budge. Any ideas? I've attached a photo.
Old 10-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #4

Photo attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wall Pulled Away from CabinetJPG.jpg (171.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-05-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
Site Team

I don't really see any "bowing" in the picture you posted. I'd try to fill the screw holes with something like epoxy and reset the screws.

I don't see how having the cabinet loose is causing the top to look lower than it should be either.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:20 AM   #6

The top trim is not seen in the photo. The lower shell wall and cabinet are shown. The wall has pulled away from the cabinet, and the mounting screws inside the cabinet appear ripped out of their holes. With great effort I can pull the wall in and install the screws, but it's obvious that the wall will rebound and either rip them out again, or rip the cabinet off the floor. It's as though the lower shell is bowed outward, but there's no evidence of that when viewed from outside.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:04 PM   #7
Site Team

Lou - I'm not seeing the lower shell wall. But, I DO see the door frame on the hinge side. If you don't see bowing at all on the outside, then I doubt it IS bowed. I wonder if the floor under the cabinet has sagged?

In any case, I don't see how this condition would cause the top corner to be lower on the other side of the door.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 05:14 PM   #8

Check the bars attached to the frame that support the top when it is in the down position.

I have a similar situation at the bathroom wall on the passenger side and I believe it happened when the support failed.

I repaired and reinforced the support 5 years ago but have not fixed that dinette. My problem is the screw is not accessible unless I take the wall apart

quickfarms is offline   Reply With Quote