Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 08-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #1

Default Farm Jacks

Past posts have mentioned FARM JACKS as a means of raising the entire top
for mainenance, repair, etc. I just went thru this when replacing the lift cylinder on my 1702T unit. I had to use one auto jack and four 2x4's and raise/lower each corner 2" at a time.

I just received a new Harbor Frieght catalog and in the Automotive Section there they were, FARM JACKS.

#6530, 48" lift down to 6", $ 40.

# 66183 60" lift down to 6', $60.

A little expensive but a way to easily raise and lower the whole top to replace cables, etc.

edward lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM   #2

Post Farm Jack

I always carry my "HiLo Jack" (Farm Jack) with me. Had to use it this past June when I broke a lift cable at a campground. Trust me, they are worth their weight in gold! It allowed us to enjoy the rest of the camping weekend.

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #3

Default Farm Jack

I have used them for years I make a specal bracke to carry my farm jack on the out side of my tool box.
Sam
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #4

I can see how you would jack the top up with one on each side. That means two jacks. But your post gives me the impression you carry just one. How do you do it with just one jack?

Darryl
camperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperD View Post
I can see how you would jack the top up with one on each side. That means two jacks. But your post gives me the impression you carry just one. How do you do it with just one jack?

Darryl
Probably I should not answer for him, but if only one cable broke, you'd use the farm jack on that corner and jack that part as it was being raised by the three remaining cables. I suspect this would be quite a lot of starting and stopping with the lift mechanism so that the jack could catch up. You would not want the top to "sag" too much on the broken cable side.

And, lowering would be just as much fun, I bet.

- Jack
Old 09-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #6

In most cases only one cable will break. With the help of a few friends that corner can be manually lifted when the raise switch is being operated. Once the top is up, the jack can be placed to keep that corner supported. Reverse the procedure to lower. This is the way I did it when my cable broke.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #7

I see. Thanks for the info. I've had a trailer for 14 years so am familiar with work-arounds and field patches for stuff that breaks while on a trip. But I'm new to the Hi-Lo (2307C) and being ready for trouble from the hydraulic lift system is something I'm trying to bone up on.

Darryl

camperD is offline   Reply With Quote