Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 05-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #1

Default Getting some cable slack?

I need to get slack in the cable to repair the rotted wood under the front (passenger) right side window of my 2007 22-Towlite

I'm thinking there may be 2 ways to do this, but I'm not sure.

So I guess my questions are ether of these ideas OK???

Method 1.
A. Just put 2x4s in the back corners between to top and the outriggers to carry the load.
B. Then jack up the top from the front center (or both sides) to get 2" of slack on the front cables.

Method 2.
A. Put 2x4s in four places, front left, right middle, left rear and right rear, between to outriggers and top.
B. Push top lower button to the all the weight off the cable system.

I guess my concern when getting the slack i need is do i run a risk of the cable coming out of pulleys or guides. Or do I need to keep tension on the cables to keep that from happening.

Thanks for any help

Roland J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #2

I guess I'll try method 1. Just left it a inch or 2, and see how that end well it jacks up. Maybe lower the top 3 inches before a lift that side up.

Old 05-17-2021, 07:35 PM   #3

Default Replacing cables.

Do a search for this topic. You use 2x4's at the corners. I know it is a post/link by Jack and Janet. Take a sharpie marker and mark where you bolts/nuts are. That way you can put them easily back in place.
Usagi5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Roland, I think I like your #2 approach better. If you lift one end of the top more than the other, you can put some serious strain on the plastic guides that ride on the tracks up the sides of the bottom half, which could break them.

If you lower the top onto 2x4s, you can then loosen the adjusting bolt on the appropriate cable to get even more slack, which should allow you to unscrew the cable under that window easily, then reconnect it easily when you are finished with the repair.

The only problem I'm seeing is if you have to work on the area where you have a 2x4 holding the top up. Possibly, you could support that part of the side very near the front corner, or, maybe with a 2x4 between the a-frame at the front and the top?

How are you planning to repair the rotted section? It's a load-bearing part of the top, so the repair needs to be "sound".

- Jack
Old 05-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Roland, I think I like your #2 approach better. If you lift one end of the top more than the other, you can put some serious strain on the plastic guides that ride on the tracks up the sides of the bottom half, which could break them.

If you lower the top onto 2x4s, you can then loosen the adjusting bolt on the appropriate cable to get even more slack, which should allow you to unscrew the cable under that window easily, then reconnect it easily when you are finished with the repair.

The only problem I'm seeing is if you have to work on the area where you have a 2x4 holding the top up. Possibly, you could support that part of the side very near the front corner, or, maybe with a 2x4 between the a-frame at the front and the top?

How are you planning to repair the rotted section? It's a load-bearing part of the top, so the repair needs to be "sound".

- Jack
thx Method 2 it is.

It has 6 supports points of so I think I can leave that one corner unsupported while doing the repair.

I plain to remove the old rotted plywood and replace it with a ripped down to size pressure treated 4x4 If I can find a dry straight one. Or glue some red oak to the right dimensions.

I assume I can put some counter sunk screws from the aluminum frame to the wood. Then button it back up. at least that's what I'm thinking
Old 05-19-2021, 03:40 PM   #6
Site Team

Apply a support "near" to the point where you unfasten the cable. I think a 2x4 between the A-frame and the top would work.

I believe a couple members have used pressure treated wood for that kind of repair. Have not heard how well it works. My only concern is that pressure treated wood is usually quite wet. I don't know how easy it would be to dry it where you live (unlike here). Another possibility might be redwood.

Pressure treating protects against insects and fungal growth. Redwood has some resistance to both too.

- Jack

JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote