Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 08-17-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

Default Goes up fine, lowers verrrry verrry slowwwly

My top worked great when I put it away 6 months ago. I brought it out today and it goes up normal fast, but it takes about 2 minutes or more to lower.

Any suggestions on what to look for before it stops coming down at all?

Thanks!

PyroJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #2

well I don't own a HiLo but I have seen photos about the lift system....the guide rod that pulls the cables could be rusted and in need of greasing and the pully's could use some oil as well....have you tried these things?

Savage709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #3

What year? Do you have an Owner's Manual? If not, there might be one for your year/model in the Library section.

See this thread from 2010 with good troubleshooting info:

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f22/wont-go-down-512/

I'd bet first on trash or foreign object obstructing the valve, but that's just a guess.

From my 2808C Owner's Manual:

"Lowering Solenoid Valve - The valve is engaged by depressing the up/down lift control switch at the entrance door or by turning manual lowering knob counterclockwise on the lowering valve. This valve has been preset at the factory for a lowering time of 12 seconds."

Good luck
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #4

The pump that energizes the hydraulic cylinder has a manual lowering valve. Try using the manual lowering valve. If that doesn't work, there is a procedure to clear the lowering valve of debris that might be lodged in the valve. You use the normal raising procedure to raise the unit about half way and open the manual lowering valve at the same time as you continue to raise the top with the button. This forces high pressure through the valve and is suppose to clear any debris from the lowering valve. Some people on the forum say they perform this procedure yearly as routine maintenance.
Beach Papa is offline   Reply With Quote