Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #1

Default HELP Cables broke and top fell

Went camping last week and when I went to pick up my 1968 (Traveler?) the top had slipped down a cpl inches so I reached in and fliped the switch to raise it to square things away before lowering it and it sounded like a cable broke and the top fell crookedwith the left front nearly all the way down and the right rear all the way up I tried jacking it level and lowering it straight with a mechanics jack and 4x4s and I could get it level but the rear would not come down I tried lifting it off the pins just like I would normaly but nothing The best I could do wasget the front down on both sides bot the rear stayed up .After I got home I found that both cables were broke.
Any suggestions on the best way to fix would be appreciated.
Thanks

ezhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RCREYES

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhilo View Post
Went camping last week and when I went to pick up my 1968 (Traveler?) the top had slipped down a cpl inches so I reached in and fliped the switch to raise it to square things away before lowering it and it sounded like a cable broke and the top fell crookedwith the left front nearly all the way down and the right rear all the way up I tried jacking it level and lowering it straight with a mechanics jack and 4x4s and I could get it level but the rear would not come down I tried lifting it off the pins just like I would normaly but nothing The best I could do wasget the front down on both sides bot the rear stayed up .After I got home I found that both cables were broke.
Any suggestions on the best way to fix would be appreciated.
Thanks
Parts are available through J&R Repair.
http://www.jrrepair.embarqspace.com/#
Procedure is below.
http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f61/...1998-24td-125/

RCREYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

You need to jack the front back up, and support with 2x4 s, also jack the back a small amount and support with 2x4s this will take the weight off the safety stop and off the hydraulic cylinder. Then you can change the cables. At that kind of angle it probably broke the glide blocks also. Regular cable maintenance and checking for frayed cables is a must.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to robobd

you need to raise all corners with jacks on the front (I used an engine hoist) and slowly and most importantly, evenly, otherwise the top will bind , then after the top is down you can get the broken cables out, straighten out the birdsnest of broken cables from underneath then do the cable replacement as refered to by rcreyes. good luck with your project
robobd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

I done mine with the top up on the 95T as I had to get inside to remove the trim piece so that I could fish the cable up and over the top pulley. it fit rather tight in some spots and I couldn't push it up from the bottom. There not all the same, my 2209T is different, no trim piece on the inside walls.

Since there is a difference of opinion as to up or down to replace the cables, when you order the new cables from JR Repair ask them which is best for your year and model.
(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote