Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #1

Default Help! One Side of HiLo Collapsed Under the Weight of Snow

Thanks for reading this and for any advice you can give. I have a 1992, 24' HiLo that was in the up position parked under the eves of a house when the snow slid off the roof of the house onto the camper. This caused the left side lifts to collapse but the right side is still up. (Yes I know that it was stupid to leave it up during the New England winter, I feel dumb).

The top half has sustained some damage at the cornors from the pressure of it beign cock-eyed like that, but not too much.

Any suggestions on how to get the right side down? It won't just lower straight down because of the angle that the top is now in. I was trying to figure out how to jack up the left side thinking that if the top was level again, the right side hydraulics would be able to lower.

Also, any thoughts to how much do you think it will cost if i need a new hydraulics system?

BryantJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #2

Default roof collapsed

Sounds like you may have bent the hydrolic ram or broken the cables on one side. You will need to ck under the trailer to determinan if one or both are the problem. To jack up one side can be done using farmer jacks. You can get them at harber freight for about $30.00 each. If you stack boards about 1 ft. high and set the jack on it you can then use the jack's to lift the lower side. Rember if the ram is bent and the cables are not broke you may have to unhook the cables from the roof and then rase the roof to level. Once you have back to level and the ram is not bent you can lower with the jacks an lift switch at the same time this will take 3 people.

If the ram is bent you will need 4 jacks and disconect all 4 cables and rase the low side and then lower the roof this will take 4 people.

If the cables are the only problem they are not that expensive. If the ram is bent I sugest you call the factory and get a price from them. The phone number is1-800-337-6490.

You should check the roof section to see if any structural damage was done to the roof. Such as the boards that hold the gasket in place are broken or damaged. This could cause the roof section to be no longer square and not go down over the lower section. You may need to call you local dealer if this is more than you can do your self.

Sam

Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Shields View Post
farmer jacks. You can get them at harber freight for about $30.00 each. If you stack boards about 1 ft. high and set the jack on it you can then use the jack's to lift the lower side.
Farmer Jacks! That is brilliant! Thank you, I was trying car jacks and it was painfully slow.

I have called HiLo's number 3 times this week, left one message for Tom in the service/part's Dept, left 2 messages in the general delvery box, still no return call. Maybe it's because I had mentioned that it was 1992, they might consider that too old to be willing to help.

I got a better look under today and it looks as if the cables are ok but they are off the pullys. Also all of the black slider pieces are off the track rails they slide on and two are broken. This will be a serious job. Thinking about framing up my HiLo on my camping land in NH as it's final permanent resting spot.

Word to the wise, don't leave your HiLo up during the winter when not in use
BryantJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #4

My local dealer had one come in that collapsed under the weight of snow. He strapped it together and took it to Hi-Lo for rebuild and it works great now.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:38 AM   #5

What is a "Farmer Jack"? Can anyone post a link or a picture?
Old 05-06-2010, 06:57 AM   #6

image_1532.jpg

I found this one at Harbor Freight.
Towlighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #7

Towlighter -

I've never seen one before, but now I can see exactly what Sam was talking about. Thanks!

Neal
Old 05-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #8

Default farmer jack

I carry a farmer jack in my truck as a normal camping tool. I have used it many time when doing repairs for my frends and my self on there trailers. Works grate when replacing cables, pullys, etc. Other club members have started carry them also as they have so many uses. I have used them for changing tires, jacking up the front of a trailer to repair the power jacks and just about any repair that you need to lift some thing. I t is a very useful tool.
Sam
Sam Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #9

not only do they jack but you also can pull with them. very handy but make sure you read and follow the directions they can be very dangerous.
wvjeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #10

I'm putting one on my list!