Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 08-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #1

Default How Hi is Enough

Here is what is going on. My top is just about level in the rear street side with the lower wall. And in the front the top is approximately 1 1/2" to 2" lower than the lower wall.

It's is obvious that the cables need to be adjusted (or even replaced).

Here is the Question? Where is the top designed to sit?

I see no daylight on the sides, the bulb seal is tight.

Bravada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #2

Here are some pics so you can visualize
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1247.jpg (139.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1249.jpg (119.7 KB, 11 views)

Old 08-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #3

Second attempt to upload pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1251.jpg (147.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #4

Ok let me try one more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1248.jpg (198.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #5
Site Team

Looking at the last picture, I can see why you're worried.

But, if the bulb seal is making good contact with the lip at the top of the bottom half (you may have to take off the interior trim strip to see this), then it's adjusted properly. With the trim strip off, you should be able to see exactly where the bulb seal is.

You don't want to go higher than a good mating of the bulb seal. If you do, it can cause damage to the frame at the bottom edge of the top half due to the increased pull on the cable there. I think it can also damage the pulley or pulleys, in that cable sector, or, it might break the cable.

I damaged my top half lower frame trying to get the inside trim to match up. I was able to fix it, but it taught me a lesson.

- Jack
Old 08-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #6

Bravda and Jack,
What is the bulb seal and how do you replace it? I can see daylight in many places through the crack between the top and bottom parts of the rig.
1999 21' Hi Lo TowLite
Doug Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #7

The bulb seal is supposed to prevent that daylight that you're seeing (along with dust and hot or cold air) through the joint between the top and bottom halves of the trailer.

There are some existing threads that detail bulb seal replacement. I think this might be of use:

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f9/rubber-gasket-5634/

Good luck!
piperjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:24 PM   #8
Site Team

Doug, I've never had to replace the bulb seal, but there ARE threads here on how to do it.

Take the trim strip off the inside top edge of your bottom half and you will be able to see how well the seal meets the lip and if you need to adjust a cable. It's easy to remove and replace the trim strip in most cases (it's just held on by screws). The only place I have difficulty is in the bathroom. As I remember, it's under the sink counter top and I have to use a right angle screwdriver.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:29 PM   #9

Doug, In regards to the body seal, HiLo originally used a round piece of foam encased in a thin vinyl plastic sleeve. These tore easy after a bit of time. I can't remember what year, but HiLo replaced the flimsy foam seal with a rubber bulb seal. They are similar to the door seals used in your truck. They are much stronger and better than the original seals. For a TEMPORARY fix, you can use copper water pipe insulation. Use the foam insulation for 1/2" pipe. It comes in 6' lengths at any hardware or big box store. Once set up at your campsite, just stuff them from the outside up against your existing seal. This will keep out the air leaks, dust, and BUGS. Better to remove them before lowering as they will either fall out or roll into the inside of your unit. You could re-insert them once the top is down to keep out the road dust and such, depending on how bad your original seal is. Happy camping..........

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #10

Thanks Bob.
I think my 1999 TowLite had the original foam encased seal which is mainly gone. I'll try the 1/2" pipe foam insulation.
I wonder if any of the polyurethane or other foam spays are both adhesive and non-dense enough to allow spraying and then lifting and lowering?
1999 21' Hi Lo TowLite
Doug Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #11
sam

Default Replacing seal between halves

Do a search for gasket replacement. DH has done this repair. Tomorrow when I am not so tired I will give you a couple links and places to buy bulb seal. Just cam back from a weekend of camping.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #12

Why not cut a water weenie in half (Bigger then the 1/2 " pipe foam) and use 2 sided tape to attach flat side. I use my old ones for jug lining . They last about 3 years 1 year for grand-kids 2 years for fishing. Not getting any sunlight attached to trailer they might last longer.
MrEd HiLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #13

The pipe foam comes in larger diameters for 3/4" and 1" pipe. The pool noodle (as I call them) is a good idea MrEd. Another use for pool noodles is the microwave. It keeps the carousel tray from bouncing around and having to be realigned each time you camp. Just measure from top of m/w to the carousel and add about 1/4". Slip it in and it will hold the carousel tray in place.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #14
sam

Default Bulbseal replacement

This post was written by Sam Shields a HiLo service advisor. Outline for replacing roof gasket 4-3-2010. Or use the link provided for cable replacement .3-3-2010. This explaines how to break the two halves apart. The bulb seal is 3/4 hollow pbulb seal with a 1"stem. Order epdm P bulb seal from McMaster Carr. DH said he used the heavy gague aluminum that comes in a roll. It is used to wrap windows and doors. It is white on one side.He cut the old seal off ith an exacto knife. Then you put the aluminum over the base of the bulb seal and staple with 1/4 narrow crown staples. I remember helping hold the seal as we worked the length of the trailer. Best of luck with this repair.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #15

when you start seeing things is high enough! lol

maestro123 is offline   Reply With Quote