Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #1

Default hydraulic cables stretched?

Hello , my name is justin . I recently bought a 1995 hilo camper that needs a little , well a lot of tlc . To make it kinda short , it had roof damage and was leaking . I've installed a white rubber roof witch is working great . I moved the a/c unit to the vent spot in the middle of the trailer because I kept hitting my head on the control boxes , and eliminated the vent near the couch or front . The white rubber seems to make a difference in heat , so got lucky there. I moved the control boxes to the wall next to the door . Way better design. Also removed the shower skylight when doing the roof .

So I've known for a while my ceiling in the bathroom was lower than the front , figured it was slack in the raise /lower cables . Tried to adjust but no luck . So I was wondering if anyone has taken out the raise and lower function , and just made it a regular camper ? I really don't wanna loose my raise and lower function , but if it was raised all the time it would make things a lot easier to work on inside , I.e. a standard shower . Cabinets in kitchen , and a wall mount tv . Use the rear wardrobe from ceiling to floor , I think I could get a lot more outta it space wise . Also I have a big gap on the passenger side near the wardrobe,
it seems to wanna bow out in the rear end ?
So I was thinking just jack it up , bolt the metal frames together and get around 5 inches raised inside re do the walls and build the inside any way I want , wondering if anyone has done something similar . I've got the upper section gutted and windows removed . The lower section is in great shape . I've redone all the metal framing with a wire Wheeler and painted with rust killing agents . Started to re insulate , so just need to know if I should attempt to fix hydraulics, or just bolt it together. Keep in mind I'm doing the exterior next and have ideas on how to make it look like a standard camper by framing the bottom section and re sheeting the 2 sides . Make it look one piece .

I've also changed the layout of the camper and really made a lot of room on the inside , I'm a single guy , I don't need a card table lol . Any ideas or comments would be great . Thanks for looking at my post .

jhoward22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

Don't know of anyone that has done what you a suggesting. The purpose of having a Hi-Lo was to tow in the down position to reduce wind resistance and improve gas mileage. You are going to increase the weight and not sure the frame can support a lot of extra weight.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #3

Default hilo

Well they made hilo's for a reason. Less wind problems and better gas mileage. Easier to tow and a few other things.
You have done a lot of repair work to it already. Way to Go.
Myself I would keep it working as a hilo. Unless you are going to park and let it sit and not travel with it.

Later Tim
69hilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #4

Yea I get the benefits to having it raise and lower , my problem is that the water destroyed the cheap wood used on the top lower rail on both sides. I think they used elcheapo plywood . Personally I would of used treated , its the same dimensions as a 2x4 .. I can't see a way to get to fix the lower rail without lifting the whole top off .. you guys ever totally gutted one of these campers ? Thanks for the replys. I just see other campers that are not able to be lowered and seem to do just fine . Jaycos and others . Just wondering if its possible . I'm planing on taking it to Florida and having it not move much after that . Thanks again for any advice .
Old 07-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Site Team

I would be very reluctant to tow it in the up position without a lot of structural reinforcement. I don't think you should do it.

- Jack
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
sam

Default HiLo rebuild/water dammage.

jhoward2, You are correct in saying the top has to be separated from the bottom to do rail replacement. Several forum members had had to do rebuilds due to water damage. My restoration story is 11-15-2012. It includes restoration pictures and word descriptions. We did not have to replace the rail.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #7

Yea I've been thinking it over and I think I can level it out with a swage tool , I jacked it up and it moved to the correct height yesterday. So I think I get under there and I can make it work . I think I can fix the side rails with it not being raised above the seal . So I'm gonna give it a shot. I kinda wish I would of looked into it more before I bought it, I'd probably choose a different type of camper . But this is what I have , time to make it work . Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I do appreciate the feedback. I really want to get this project checked off the list , PS I've never even been camping in an RV/camper . Its a total learning experience for me . Took me a week to figure out the hot water . Lol .

I have a really cool paint scheme in mind for the hi lo , and the inside is gonna be really nice when I get done . I'm planning on putting around 2500 into the camper. So I guess we will see what I can come up with .

I was thinking that the white 60 mil rubber I used for the roof would make a shower stall that could move up and down with the camper , just need to find a spot to mount a tv that I don't have to move every time I leave camp . Maybe off the ceiling ? I'd love to see any picts of redone hi los and maybe give me some ideas .

Thanks again for your opinions.

Tags
remove lift, stay raised