Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 05-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #1

Default Hydraulic Cylinder and head repair

Looks like Im back again. In the process of fixing my pulley mount, and replacing cables, I have managed to break the head from the end of the hydraulic cylinder. My guide bar is bent as well. The guide bar seems simple enough to fix/replace. The cylinder is in the extended position and seems ok, except for the very end where it attaches to big square mount with all of the pulleys. it looks like it just snapped off there. Looking at the end of the extended cylinder, it almost looks like there was a bolt or some thing that screwed through the pulley mount in to the end of the cylinder. I can see a ring of matterial that matches the rest of the shiny extended rod, and with in that this is a larger circle of duller grey material. Does anyone know if something like that is the case. Is this just a matter of removing the broken bolt threading left in the extended cylinder, and replacing it, or is this a remove the cylinder and get it to a shop situation.

donkylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

Default An ounce of prevention.....

Your problems appear to be a result of lack of maintenance in the past. A little bit of cleaning and lubing once a year could have prevented that. Hopefully others reading your post can profit from it.

An equipment shop could probably help you with the cylinder. The guide rod should be replaced not straightened, it is the single most important part of the lift system. When it binds other things break, that may be why the pulley was broken loose.

Watch Video 34 on this post:http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #3

I have a newer HiLo so not sure if everything is the same. I take it that the part that broke off is at the end of the ram. I will look at mine tomorrow and get back. You might check with J&R and see what they say. Think I saw a post or two here within the past month about a couple of HiLo's being destroyed by a flood and storms. Might be able to pick up a hyd cylinder from someone parting one out.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

Donkeylegs
There is a bolt in the end of the hydraulic ram holding the cable ram bar.

It is stout material and if it is bent there is the likely problem causing the pulley issue.

Push the ram back into the cylinder to make easier to work on and to stabilize the ram. Not all of the way, but enough to use a rubber strap wrench on to keep from turning when trying to remove the bolt.
Do NOT score the shaft of the ram with any tools, since it has to pass thru the seal and will trash it.
RichR is correct that the guide needs to be lubed with wheel grease when job goes back together, a thin coat is good but needs to be maintained for smooth movement.
See, it wasn't that hard!
hth
steve
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #5

Thats all pretty much in line with what I thought. Just too frustrated yesterday to check it our thoroughly. Thanks everyone for the help, you guys are life savers. Once I get her put back together, I'll certainly keep up on the maintenance. Ive only had the camper for two weeks, if that. I think the the whole problem started with me trying to drive it the three miles between the last owners house and mine on the old tires. We had a blow out, and I think the tire material caught the passenger side pulley as it whipped around before I got stopped. Again, thanks for helping me out as I get to know the ins and outs of the thing.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #6

renoites,

I think Im about to wrap it up. The guide rail is bugging me a bit though. It looks like there is a pocket for it to sit in on the frame of the passenger's side, and a hole in the frame beneath the hyrdo cylinder, but as far as I can tell, there is nothing else to hold it in place. Im not sure what the folks who had the camper before me have done or misplaced, but it seems counter intuitive to think that the guide rail wouldnt have something more to secure it. Am I missing something here?
Old 05-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #7

Donkeylegs
the hydraulic cylinder is attached to the frame by the pin at the end. The guide rails and the pin are all you get.
Make sure the rails are straight and greased. There is NO pressure in any direction other than the hydraulic. The cables and rails is the only tension and they are in parallel to load.
Pull all of the cable wheel guides and clean and grease. Mine goes up quickly and quietly.

hth
steve

kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote