Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 06-25-2012, 12:45 AM   #1

Default Hydraulic Fluid Leak in our new to us HiLo

Hello,

We purchased a used 1989 Funchaser. We just got back from our first big trip and when we got home and I raised the HiLo there was fluid coming out of the filler breather cap from the lift system. I tried putting more fluid in and raised and lowered the trailer again and both times fluid came out. Any suggestions on what would cause this to happen and how to fix it?

Thank you,
Steve

steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #2

Hopefully your problem is too much fluid in the reservoir tank. The fluid level should be approximately 1 inch from the top of the reservor with the trailer in the down position. Hope this cures the problem.

Bob

retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:27 AM   #3

Although this was our first trip we have been raising and lowering the trailer over the last serveral months with no leaks. I have not added any fluid since we've had it so it seems like something is recently plugged causing it to come out through the cap. It happenes when raising or lowering the trailer. Both lines that run back to the lift cables look in good shape. There are some signs of fluid coming out at the lift itself but it seems like a small amount and has been there for awhile. The amount that has just started coming out of the system lift is about 2 cups.

Is there way to check if one of the lines are plugged? The trailer still raises and lowers but I have stopped doing that until I find out more information. There hasn't been any noticeable change in the sound or speed as it raises or lowers.

I consider myself a handy person but this is an area where I have no experience.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #4

Hi Steved, Bob is right on the fluid level in the reservoir when the top is down. When the top is up the reservoir will look almost empty. The top would not raise or lower if the pressure line to the lift cylinder were plugged. Fluid goes to the lift cylinder thru this line when the top is raised and returns to the reservoir thru this same line when the top is lowered. The somewhat clear plastic line from the lift cylinder to the reservoir should have virtually no fluid in it. If there is a fluid leak by the lift cylinder piston when you lift the top, this line will return the fluid to the reservoir to prevent a liquid lock in the lift cylinder. This also prevents the leaked fluid from being forced past the cylinder shaft seal and leaking on the ground. One guess is that there is a leak past the piston seal that has filled the plastic line and someone has added fluid to the reservoir to compensate for the loss, overfilling the system and causing the fluid coming out of the filler cap. You also indicated that there is a small leak from the cylinder to the ground which also verifies a leak past the cylinder piston. Sounds like the cylinder needs to have new seals put in it. Hope this helps to understand the system and helps you find the fix.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #5

Thank you Bob and Jim L for the feedback. I realize with my lack of knowledge on this it makes it difficult to explain. Your information really helped me understand the system much better. I should not have added fluid as mentioned in the first post in the up position once I noticed fluid had drained out. Having the new fluid drain out after I lowered it the make perfect sense now. Although I still can't figure out why fluid leaked out in the first place originally when I raised it after getting back from our trip. Before then no fluid had been added and its odd that it leaked while I raised it based on how the system works. I'm sure I'm just missing something somewhere. I'll take the advise and have the seals looked at and replaced.

Steved
1989 Funchaser
2002 Dodge Dakota V8
California
Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
sam

Default Hydraulic fluid leak

Check out some of the old posts from 5-17-2011. Numerous posts on the hydrolic pump /fluid leaks.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote