Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 08-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to donm449
Default Hydraulic lift pump rebuild/refurbish

As some will remember I recently had a problem with my hydraulic lift pump. I got lots of help and info from members and contacted J R who was also helpful. Likely a cylinder problem but could not be sure and to order a cylinder for $200+ and not be sure if it would solve the problem I was looking to have it rebuilt. As several have posted over time it seems it should be able to be rebuilt but the J R and other trailer places talked of replacement not rebuilding.

Well here is the good news....for me and other's in the future. I contacted a number of hydraulic pump companies that rebuild pumps and it seems they are quite familier with this type pump as it is used in several applications and quite common. I live in the Inverness, FL area so I dropped it off at Ocala Hydraulics, as they were the closest and sounded like they were familiar with it. They said they would go through the whole thing let me know what is the problem and needed...give me a quote and I can go forward or not. They too, without testing, thought it sounded like a cylinder problem and if so the repair and refurbish would be less than the part alone.

I will keep you posted but it sounds like they can be rebuilt/refurbished for far less then a new one and may be less then just ordering and buying parts.

Again, thanks for your imput with this problem....donm

donm449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to jcurtis95

donm449,

This is good information to know and I'm sure members of the forum will be awaiting the results of your effort. I am curious how the rebuild cost compares to a replacement unit. Please keep us informed.

Jerry Curtis
2406 T

jcurtis95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #3

Default Replacement, repair of Hydraulic Cylinder.

I went thru the removal, repair, and re-installation of my 17 ft Hi-Lo in 2010. Refer to this one in the archives.

Hydraulic Cylinder Repair, Replacement, Part I, 8-19-2010, Ed Lansing.

In my case I had the work done by a Auto Repair Shop who did dis-assembiy, replace a bent shaft, new seals, reassemble, test, etc. all for $295. The new shaft had to be cut and threaded to the exact length.

These are common industrial cylinders and any good shop can handle it.

Good Luck! Ed Lansing
edward lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:17 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to donm449

Just wanted to give all an end to my story of lift problem. Had pump motor gone through and all was well on that end....so the it was the cylinder. With the help from forum group got it removed, no fun. and re-built for around $80.00, very pleased. One problem is they put the end plate on cylinder reversed and I did not realize it until I had it back in place. So removed it, again, and the shop turned it around and I got back under Hi Lo and re-installed everything.....works great........now I am ready to go camping. Thanks to all for info and help. It was a job but would do it again...however hope I don't have to.
donm449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #5

Default Hydraulic Tech.

Being a Hydraulic Tech. and owning a Hydraulic service . Any hydraulic unit or cylinder should be able to be repaired at any hydraulic shop . The hydraulic unit is the same unit used on lift gates ,dump trucks, low riders , ect. always inspect for worn hyd .hoses and leaks and change your hydraulic fluid for prevented maintance .
1sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #6

That is good information. Thanks!

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote