Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 10-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #1

Default Leaking at pump fill

New here and just bought my first HiLo. Not sure even what it is but couldn't pass on deal. Gonna gut it and start over. The guy said he didn't know if the pump worked but I put a battery on it and all seems to work fine. I greased everything and I have no issues except one, (so far).

Fluid leaking at top of pump at, where it looks like someone put a bolt in the fill hole. Where can I get this or any help would be appreciated.

This will be the first of many post so please be patient.

I am an airboat builder and bow fisherman and this is my first camper with zero experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.9 KB, 43 views)

Vlrlex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #2
sam

Default Pump question

virlex1,Welcome to the forum. I'm sure some of our better mechanics will be along to answer your question. Ask any questions and we will be here to help you. Post often.

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #3

I've read several post that answered a ton of my questions. This forum seems to have people willing to help. I'm sure it's something easy.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #4

It's just a regular pipe plug you can buy at the hardware store

Proud owner of a 2013 Jayco Jay Flight 28 BHBE
dirtfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #5

Ty, it is plastic and wasn't sure if it was specific to this pump. Where do u guys buy your parts? Where would I look to find out what this thing is?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #6

On my HiLo the fill plug is on the other end of the reservoir and has a plastic cap on it. Does your HiLo reservoir have only the one fill plug that is in the photo? The fill cap must have a small vent hole in it so no pressure or vacuum can build up when you raise or lower the top. If your reservoir is leaking fluid and making a mess the reservoir has probally been overfilled. When the top is down the fluid level should be 1" below the fill opening. When the top is rasied their should be only aprox 1" of fluid in the bottom of the reservoir. The fluid is Dextron auto tranmission fluid.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM L View Post
On my HiLo the fill plug is on the other end of the reservoir and has a plastic cap on it. Does your HiLo reservoir have only the one fill plug that is in the photo? The fill cap must have a small vent hole in it so no pressure or vacuum can build up when you raise or lower the top. If your reservoir is leaking fluid and making a mess the reservoir has probally been overfilled. When the top is down the fluid level should be 1" below the fill opening. When the top is rasied their should be only aprox 1" of fluid in the bottom of the reservoir. The fluid is Dextron auto tranmission fluid.
I took the bolt out and its obvious that it was put there because the plastic plug was broken. When I raise it I get no fluid but when I lower it the fluid comes out around the bolt. There are no other leaks in the entire system. Im assuming that just simply removing the bolt and the rest of the plastic plug and getting a new one is not gonna be that big of deal.

Im needing to identify what I have year, model, etc. Im needing a window and a few other dress up pieces but dont know what to search for. Where are the numbers located?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
sam

Default Parts needed

Post pictures of the parts you need so that we can better help you.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #9

Virlex1, Make sure that the reservoir is not overfilled. Do you see a crack in the reservoir? Is the fluid coming out around the threads on the plug? Clean all this mess off of the reservoir and post another pic so we can see the area of the plug better. If there is a crack or bad threads in the reservoir you should be able to repair it. The system operates with no pressure in the reservoir. The model # and serial# may be on a sticker inside of a cabinet door, or a sticker on the top, driver side, front left corner outside. The serial# on many HiLo's was stamped on top of the tongue near the front of the lower box. It may be covered up with paint. Look at the registration card to see if any of the info is there. It should have the year and serial# on it. My HiLo is a 2805C model. The 28 is the length in feet and the 05 is the year built, 2005. The length of a HiLo is measured from the tip of the tongue to the rear bumper, Post pictures of your HiLo and members here can give you a good idea of the model and aprox year built. Answer the above questions so we can get a better idea of the problem.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote