Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #1

Default Need Hydraulic cylinder replacement

Here is the deal, the hi-lo i have has a badly bent ram and needs rebuilt or replaced. I started looking for replacements on Midget and they are on back order, plus $600 seems high for a fairly short stroke, single stage 2500 PSI cylinder. Has anyone had to replace there cylinder with one that is not factory fit? if so how much did it run and what kind of mod's did you have to make.

Thanks.

markchininia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #2

I recommend that you take the cylinder to a farm machinery place or hydraulic supply house. They may have a cylinder that will work. Also, check the cylinders at Portable Generators, Pressure Washers, Power Tools, Welders | Northern Tool + Equipment. You may find one that will work.

You need a cylinder with the same stroke and close to the same bore. A smaller bore cylinder may not have enough power. A larger bore cylinder will have enough power, but may need more fluid volume than is contained in the reservoir. A cylinder with a slightly longer stroke may work, but you will need to shorten the stroke fabricating and installing an internal spacer. The issue here may be that the body may be too long. The cylinder itself is of the double-acting type. It is hooked up to work as a single-acting cylinder with the retraction port plumbed as a fluid overflow.

Lastly, the ram may be salvageable if it is not bent too badly and the sealing surfaces are good. I used to straighten motorcycle front fork tubes on a hydraulic press and it worked well. These are similar to a hydraulic ram. You can do this yourself or have a machinist do it. Disassemble the cylinder and set up the ram on a press using aluminum, semi-circular blocks. Use another aluminum block on the press ram. Carefully use the press to straighten the cylinder (http://www.pittedforks.co.uk/fork-straightening.php). I understand that some hydraulic shops also can do this.

Good luck.

2408T
2010 Nissan Frontier, 4x4, Crew Cab
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #3

I don't think the ram will be salvageable. It is bent very bad and the end is split about 3". the pulley mount grabbed the guide rod while raising. I was replacing 2 broke cables in the front using farm jacks to raise the front and all of the pulley weight in the back pulled the ram into the un-lubricated guide rod causing the guide rod and ram to bend about 20°. my trailer is a 2001 and I just got it last year and it looks like maintenance on the lift system has never been done. This is my 1st Hilo and it has definitely been a learning experience.
markchininia is offline   Reply With Quote

« large pop | pulleys »