Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 10-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #1

Default Oops! Help!

Hi all! I made a stupid mistake. I placed my battery charger on the tongue of my trailer, and forgot to move it before I lowered the trailer top. Now one corner is 3 in higher than the others and the the lift won't move the top back up. The charger is stuck, and I don't know how to get it out. I'm wondering if I should get a jack and try to lift the corner high enough to pull the charger out. Another idea is to find some brilliant way to jack up the other three corners. I'm stumped. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15402556961361108064018.jpg (124.3 KB, 27 views)

Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #2

The top is mostlikely stuck be cause the guides that ride up the guide rails on the outside of the lower section are cocked and jammed the top. Do not try to raise the high corner as you will most likely break some of the guides. Try to find 4 to 6 strong guys to try and lift the low corners and if they can, press the up/raise switch and it hopefully will raise. The top may be too heavy for them to raise so then you will need to raise with 2 or 3 hydraulic jacks or old farm jacks if you can find them. When you do get it unstuck you need to inspect those guides for any broken ones and replace any that are broken. I have sent you a private message. Good luck.

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
Hi all! I made a stupid mistake. I placed my battery charger on the tongue of my trailer, and forgot to move it before I lowered the trailer top. Now one corner is 3 in higher than the others and the the lift won't move the top back up. The charger is stuck, and I don't know how to get it out. I'm wondering if I should get a jack and try to lift the corner high enough to pull the charger out. Another idea is to find some brilliant way to jack up the other three corners. I'm stumped. Any ideas?
Harbor freight sells farm jacks for about $60.00 each.
1999 21T Tow Lite
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #4

Default Try the manual pump

Have you tired the manual pump? If your trailer is equipped with the manual pump (it was optional equipment but I suspect most trailers have them) and you can reach it inside that tongue box, you should find a round metal tube lever that inserts into the hydraulic pump and pumping that will start to raise the trailer. I would be very careful and try just a couple of pumps first to make sure it moves a little and nothing seems stuck in case a cable is bound up. If that seems okay, keep pumping it high enough to remove the charger and see if it starts to level out.
Davidshilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne View Post
Fixed it. I raised the tongue, measured the height of the base of the top frame on each side of the tongue. Then I cut s 4x6 to those measurements and slid them in beside the tongue directly under the top frame cross-member. Then I slowly lowered the tongue. The boards held the top up enough to let some pressure off the charger. I was then able to dismantle the charger enough to get it out.

But then when I pushed the lift button, the jack just hummed. No lifting! Someone had mentioned the manual jack, so I pumped that and lifted it a few inches. Looked like everything was lifting evenly, so I tried the button again and it worked! Thanks for the support everyone!
Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #6
sam

Default Glad you got your problem solved.

I'm sure you aren't the only one to make a blooper. I left a half gallon of expensive 303 protectant on the back bumper and lowered the trailer. Bleep Bleep as it was pouring onto the roadway.
sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:50 AM   #7

Simply YAHOO!!!!!! could been disaster

cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote