Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 09-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #1

Question Purging or Bleeding the Hydraulic System

I am getting ready to modify my battery box so that it can hold two 6-volt golf cart batteries. Before I can do the work I need to take everything out of the present box including the hydraulic pump. Does the pump/system need to be purged or bled like a brake system after I put it back together? If so, how is that done? Thanks.

George
WB4IPB

Astroham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #2
Site Team

Astro, If you break the integrity of the hyd system (the hard line), I would be ready with caps and plugs. If you cap the hard line to the cylinder, you won't have to bleed the system. But the hard line WILL drain pretty quick. Even then, eventually the system will self bleed as you cycle the top.

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #3

Treeclimber,

Thank you very much. I plan to cap the hard line, but was worried about any air bubbles that got into the system. If I understand your reply though, the hydraulic system will eliminate these bubbles on its own. That is good news since any opening of the hard line will allow at least a little bit of air to enter. Thanks again.

George
WB4IPB
Astroham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Team

No problem, good sir. After repeated cycling of the system, air will be eliminated. I recently had my cylinder repacked. Before installing it, I extended the rod end about 8" by hand, filled the cylinder and capped it. After uncapping the hard line, I attached that to the cylinder as quick as I could then by hand retracted the cylinder to install it. This blew any air back to the reservoir. Once install was complete, I ran the system thru. Up cycle was 11 sec, down was 12 sec. As of this morning, same is true. Getting ready for Panama City, Fl. Best of luck, you can do it!
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic cylinder