Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 05-22-2018, 07:49 PM   #1

Default Rear lifts but not the front

I bought a 1995 (26 foot, I think) Tow Lite a few weeks ago. It is a one owner trailer. The seller told me that on the last trip they took it out that the rear would start to rise but that the front would not move. I am going to going to work on the trailer tomorrow and I would appreciate any suggestions. All the cables appear to be intact and the cables appear to be on the pulleys under the trailer. What do you suggest I try first. Thanks Randy Memphis.

Vstrom650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #2
sam

Default Welcome to the forum.

The only thing that I can think of is the something is jammed up on the inside. Perhaps a cupboard door was left open or something in the way in the BR. Crawl inside with the top down and look around. Hopefully someone will be able to come up with another senario. Is the battery fully charged?

sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
Site Team

Randy, That second pic disturbs me a bit. It appears that the bolt is sheared, is it binding near those cables? And what is the function of that bolt?
As sam says, check that no cupboards or outside access panels have fallen open, doesn't take too much to bind things up, and once it binds the binding just gets worse. It's usually something simple, but NOT simple to correct. Like getting to the offending panel door. Perhaps something dropped down between the walls.
I'm sure it's correctable and you'll be off camping in no time. Welcome to the forum!
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:05 AM   #4

Randy; In the second pic, that pully bracket has been bent out of shape and may have jammed the pullys. The top pully is broken and must be replaced and the bottom pully appears to be broken also. J&R has the pullys. The bracket must be bent back into shape or a new one frabricated and welded into place. The thick plate behind the front bracket that has 2 pullys on it also appears to also be bent out of square but its hard to say from this pic. The third pic shows a support bolt badly bent. What has caused this damage under the HiLo would be just a guess. I would bet the previous owner knows. I will get under my HiLo today to try and figure out what I am seeing on your pics. I have sent you a private message.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #5

I worked on the trailer today. The front pulleys near the ram are in bad shape and I will replace them. I fabricated a new support bracket to hold up the ram. My question now is concerning the very front of the ram. It looks to me like there was a tip on the very front of the ram that fit into the heavy steel plate that slides along the bar. It appears that my tip is broken off into the heavy moving plate. Is there suppose to be a tip on the very front of the ram and if so is it replaceable? This picture is the front of the ram.
Vstrom650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:50 PM   #6

Randy, No pic came thru. Jim

2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, lift, roof, stuck