Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 08-28-2020, 04:05 PM   #1

Default Remove/replace guide rod??

Hello. We have a 2003 29' Classic which I am renovating, replacing cables, sealing the roof, etc. I have been reading the threads on replacing the hydraulic cylinder. However, I have not found a complete description of how to best remove and replace the guide rod. The cylinder is in the extended position. Several posters suggested cutting the rod to remove it, but then how do you install the replacement? There does not appear to be enough distance to just insert with the cylinder in the extended position. Do I need to depress the cylinder or ?? Thanks for the help.

Niels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:19 PM   #2

Hello Niels-
I just finished major renovations on complete undercarriage of my 1994 Funlite FLL. I had to remove guide rod, easier than you think. TOP MUST BE DOWN, RAM IN RETRACTED POSITION. On the driver side of rod, closest to ram, at the very end is a cotter key maybe 1/8" diameter. It's pretty stout. Might be hard to see if lots of grease debris hydraulic fluld (Dexron III) and dirt etc is coating rod. The ends may have rusted or broken off flush with the sides of the rod, too, so you wouldn't even catch it with your eye in that case. Remove the key (small punch and hammer, pliers, etc) and the rod then slides out and slightly downward on the passenger side under frame rail near axle(s). Installation is reverse of removal :-)

6" frame lift, 4 custom shock absorbers, Equ-A-Flex equalizers, Mor-Ryde greasable shackles & pins, 45 amp upgraded inverter/ 4 stage smart battery charger, 2 external refrigerator coil cooling fans, 6 gal water heater remote ignite, all interior exterior LED lights, 15" tires, 3 custom lateral axle & frame reinforcement beams, custom LP oven & stove, custom external LP ports, custom external solar port & controller.
MTboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I will need to compress the cylinder. Several suggestions were listed as to how to do this. Thought that may be the case (at least I was hoping).
Niels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #4

Unless I missed something, you simply lower the top and cylinder ram rod is retracted. I presume from original post your system is intact? Even with no power, the emergency manual override lever at the pump will release fried (fluid?) though valve back into reservoir and lower the top.
6" frame lift, 4 custom shock absorbers, Equ-A-Flex equalizers, Mor-Ryde greasable shackles & pins, 45 amp upgraded inverter/ 4 stage smart battery charger, 2 external refrigerator coil cooling fans, 6 gal water heater remote ignite, all interior exterior LED lights, 15" tires, 3 custom lateral axle & frame reinforcement beams, custom LP oven & stove, custom external LP ports, custom external solar port & controller.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #5

Where did you happen to buy all these parts from?
JOSEPH A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #6

Where you live looking for some to help with lift front lifts to high thanks live outside Baton Rouge La. If someone is close please contact me.
Daler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:30 PM   #7

Joseph A- pardon the very delayed reply, I don't recall receiving an alert that this thread had been replied to. If you're inquiring about the upgrades installed or fabricated into my Funlite, nearly all were sourced from Amazon. raw materials such as steel tubing were from local steel vendor industrial supply store. Axle tube-type sideplay reinforcements were made from a single piece of 20' tubing same diameter as axles I bought at local Ace Hardware.

Daler- I live in western Montana, Bitterroot Valley near Idaho border. All our camping is dirt-or-gravel boondocking, no campgrounds for us, thus the lift, taller tires, beefier Load D sidewalls, shocks, etc. If closer I would help, the camper's lift height adjustment is easy. There is a very comprehensive guide posted on this site and at least 2 threads that detail the procedure excellent detail, starting with the 2 adjuster bolts closest to front of trailer, front tire (upper and lower left) which adjust the front right and left corner height of top. Loosening bolts extends the long eyebolt inward toward center of trailer, lowering the height of top. Best of luck.