Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 07-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #1

Default Top sticks on raising

We just returned from our third camping trip with our Tow Lite and when we got home we could only raise the top about 6-8" and then the corner seemed to catch on something and we cannot raise the camper. It seems like only one corner is catching -- it is the front drivers side corner.

I thought it might be the lid on the water tank so I crawled in and got a yardstick between the top and bottom and swung it around and there was nothing blocking the trailer on the front drivers side. I have not done this on the front of the camper -- maybe there is something there that is blocking things. We have a top bunk and did use it last night -- could there be a problem from that? How can I tell if the problem is the cable?

Thanks so much!

Old 07-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to PopRichie77

If the top will lower, even if it won't, crawl underneath and look at the cable in that corner for fraying. If it is frayed it will jam. Check close to the top half but check all of it.
As long as you put the bunk up properly before lowering, there should be no problem.

(2209T) - 2009 22' TowLite
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
PopRichie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #3

My husband and I both crawled under to look and couldn't see any fraying . The cable looks like it is in good condition. I saw where people recommend putting a sealant/lubricant on it. Should we do that?

What else should we try?

Thanks,
Reeny
Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #4

Cable lubrication can be done after you find your problem, doing it now won't help. Check the guide rod it may be bent due to lack of lubrication, it is located on the bottom of the hydraulic cylinder. If you don't have a manual look at one in the Reference Library on this forum, any manual shows the hydraulic cylinder and references lubing the guide rod, it fits thru a hole and when it gets rusty it jams up. It must be straight, if not it needs replaced.
Check the glide rails on the out side of the bottom half. if a screw came out about a 1/4 of an inch or more it will block the top from going up, problem is the screw will be on the top of the glide block and very hard to see. Lower the top and look with a flash light.
You also need to say what length your trailer is.
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
Old 07-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #5

You didn't leave a check valve or something where the hose attaches for city water, did you?. Hotwater heater door is also near the front on driver's side, was that securely closed ?. If it just happened- then I would look for simpler solutions than bent rods around hydraulics. Maybe lay in camper while wife raises and see if you can see the bunk or something catching.

Rick

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #6

Found a video of lubricating the guide rod. It looks straight but not clean or lubricated. the video said to lub it with white lithium grease -- I'll have to get some. How do I clean it ? Not a metal brush, I'm guessing. Maybe water and a kitchen green plastic scratchy sponge? By the way I can't find instructions on this in my 96 Tow Lite book.

Not sure what you mean by the guide rails but I'll go out with a mirror and flash light and see if I can see any screw part way out. This must be where the cables come up, right?

I called our RV dealer and for $150/hr they will look at it and the guy tells me he has worked on lots of them . But.... YIKES! $150/hr!!! He said he gets 3 guys and pulls the top off so he can see things.

... I'm wondering if a person needs to be part mechanic to own a Hi Low?

Oh, I think I should raise the trailer on the leveling blocks to lub the guide rod, right? and, YUP this is our first RV and we are not super mechanical.
Thanks,
Old 07-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #7

Default Video?

"Found a video of lubricating the guide rod"

Can you provide a link to this video?
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
"Found a video of lubricating the guide rod"

Can you provide a link to this video?
Scroll down to Video 34

http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #9

Default Thanks again

I've viewed that library (and specific video) but was looking for info pertaining to the two flat metal bars that run above (& parallel) to the guide rod. I was wondering just what they are and if they need lubing too?

It'd be helpful if I had an assistant to operate the top while I observe. Even better would be to have two assistants doing both while I supervised. Thanks for any volunteers.
Wrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #10

Wrascal---Good luck with that one.
Not sure about which bars you mean but the safety lock bar for the hyd cylinder is up there. Door side has the pull cable attached to it. It should be kept clean of debree but doesn't require lubing.

reeny, the bar can be cleaned with a metal brush or sand paper, it is the 3/4 dia bar below the Hydraulic cylinder, do not put any thing on the hydraulic cylinder rod , scratches will damage it.
(2510 ) - 2010 25'
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #11

So what is the difference between the hydraulic bar and the rod? You said there is a 3/4 diameter bar below the hydraulic cylinder. Where is the rod? And what is it that the guy is lubricating in the you tube video? So clean and lube the bar but not the rod?

I'm on my tablet and do not know how to attach the you tube link.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #12

I am familiar with the u tube video, as I have the original DVD. The hyd rod is much bigger and above the guide bar, it should be smooth and shiny.
The guide bar is the lowest bar and it is probably rusty. Newer ones are chrome plated and don't rust.
The guy in the video is lubing the guide bar. The hyd rod is the rod that comes out of the cylinder when the top is put up.

(2510 ) - 2010 25'