Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 05-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #1
Gone Traveling

Default Top Won't Raise

I'm desperate for help. Can't raise the top tried jacking up but hydroulic pump just growls. Now since no one is willing to help me or work on it the camper is useless and am ready to junk it. Going to clean out my stuff and does anybody want it? I love it but after 20 years it's of no use this way and camping places won't touch it. Can anyone help or I'll take it to the junk yard.

clyde wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Clyde, I moved your post to its own thread and in a more appropriate section where you might get better help.

From your description, it sounds like the pump motor is working properly and you have sufficient power, so that just leaves hydraulic pressure as the problem.

So, is there fluid in the hydraulic reservoir? With the top down, it should be within 1" of the top of that tank. You can check this by making a "dipstick" of sorts out of wire that is bent so that you can get it into the top of the tank with the top of the camper down.

Next, if you have fluid in the tank, is the manual lowering valve at the pump possibly open? If it is, the top will not go up since the system cannot develop pressure.

If neither of these is the problem, you might have a leak. Is there any hydraulic fluid on the ground, either under the pump or, more likely, under the ram back midway under the trailer near where the axles are mounted. If you have a leak, the system will again not hold pressure and you will have to get the hydraulic system rebuilt. This is something that can be done by most any shop that does hydraulic work, so it can be fixed.

Possibly, someone else will have other ideas. Don't give up too soon.

- Jack

Old 05-27-2021, 06:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde wells View Post
I'm desperate for help. Can't raise the top tried jacking up but hydroulic pump just growls. Now since no one is willing to help me or work on it the camper is useless and am ready to junk it. Going to clean out my stuff and does anybody want it? I love it but after 20 years it's of no use this way and camping places won't touch it. Can anyone help or I'll take it to the junk yard.
I took mine to our HI-lo dealer for repairs to our cables i would recommend that you take it to your nearest dealer and have them take a.look at it . Why junk it if its an easy fix the cost of repairs to ours was.off set by many years more enjoyment.....ours is a 69 Voyager.
chris gilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:18 PM   #4

clyde where are you located??

2010 Nissan Titan king cab SE
4x4
hilltool is offline   Reply With Quote