Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 08-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #1

Default what am I missing?

First off, let me say that this forum is fantastic! I have figured out solutions to many issues already just by reading. This is one of the friendliest groups I've ever seen on the internet.

Second, I'm borrowing the hi lo from my father in law. I agreed to work on it to be able to use it. He got it from his dad's estate dirt cheap because it wouldn't raise. Last time it was up was 2007. It's an 87 funlite. I got it to lift by connecting shore power then jumping it from the tow vehicle. I've spent the last week ironing out things like the fridge (now working thanks to forum members), 12v lights (thanks again), WD towing setup (thanks again), it had a dead battery ( reason it wouldn't lift and why it was sold so cheap) replaced, cleaned top to bottom. Getting ready to camp in it, this weekend, and now it won't go down. I try to raise it, the pump motor humms. Can't get pressure off of the safety bar.

Here's what I've done:

-battery (is charged) tried to jump it anyway
-30a inline breaker (replaced with auto reset) old one wasn't bad but rusted and corroded
-tested the actual switch (it's fine)
-fuse panel on the inverter has all new, good fuses
-110 breakers all working properly
-shore power is charging the battery
-all 12v lights and accessories work properly
-Crawled under the trailer-sprayed the safety bar and cable
-made sure it was moving, it was
-added some hydraulic fluid to the reservoir (thinking it was too low to push the camper up to free the safety bar.
-Tested continuity of the solenoid (seemed ok, till I tried to jump it - bad idea)
-I'll be taking the solenoid to the auto store tomorrow cause I fried it.

So, is there anything I'm missing? Other than the solenoid... would the pump just hum if the solenoid was bad to begin with? Hum trying to raise, click trying to lower.

What other parts are involved?

Thanks for all the help! I've had so many successes because of you all. This latest trouble is bumming me out.

Josh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150729_162919.jpg (318.8 KB, 5 views)

salzybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #2
Site Team

There's a relief valve, on the pump I think, that can be opened to lower the top without using the electric switch. Have you tried that? It would tell you if something's "binding" that is preventing it from lowering. Other than that, you seem to have covered all the bases.

I've never had your problem, so I don't really know a good troubleshooting process.

- Jack

Old 08-05-2015, 11:00 PM   #3

I'll take a picture of the pump in the morning. There is a metal rod sticking out of the side that wiggles back and forth but didn't seem to do anything.. I'll check it out. That and a new solenoid in the morning.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #4

When you raise the top to its limit, the pump will squeal. While pulling on the cable for the safety release, reverse the pump switch to down.
This is a fluid motion.

If you can't raise to the "squeal" you aren't off of the safety bar and cannot pull release cable.

Not sure why your motor would humm. Motor only runs when lifting, not lowering.

You added fluid? 1" below full when in the DOWN position.
kd7ctk
renoites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:14 AM   #5

Aside from the lift system problem have you had the tires replaced recently and had the wheel bearings checked and repacked. Tires over five years old are subject to deterioration and should be replaced. Check the brakes while doing that also.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #6

I added a small amount of fluid (hydraulic) to the reservoir under the assumption that it didn't have enough fluid to continue to raise the top of of the safety bar. Not fill the reservoir.

This morning, I'll clean the guide rod and lube it. It was rusty and not lubed. I noticed this while under the camper but didn't know what I was looking at. Thanks to another post for helping my understanding of the lift process. I'll also replace the solenoid.

As for the tires, bearings, and brakes. Tires were brand new the last time it was intended to be used and it's been garaged on blocks. No sign of rot or deterioration. Holding air well. Bearings were greased. Brakes work as of the drive from my father in laws to my place.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #7

Ok, can't find the t valve to release the pressure. Can someone explain?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150806_095347.jpg (272.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #8

The manual release valve is the lever that is sticking out. According to owners manuals you should be able to pull on it to release the pressure.

Try this manual:http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-classic-2016/
Amateur Radio K3EXU
Old 08-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #9

That lever you are talking about is the manual lowering valve. If the pump is just humming and not running, then it is stuck or the voltage is too low. Check the voltage at the motor when humming. If OK then tap on the pump and motor with a hammer to see if that will unstick it. Next move the manual lowering valve handle to the lowering position and apply power to the pump, and rap the pump motor again. With the manual valve in the lowering position you will be removing any hydraulic pressure within the pump and it might start. The pump motor is just a auto starter motor and it could be bad or the pump itself could be bad (stuck). You could remove the starter motor and have it checked out. The manual lowering valve must be closed for the pump to lift the top. You may not know which position is the closed position so try both positions. Search the form for " correcting top creep " Also on the pump is the electric solenoid lowering valve. It could be stuck open and not allowing pressure to build up. There should be only aprox 1" of fluid in the reservoir bottom when the top is up. Try these things to see if you can get the pump motor running and let us know if any of the above worked.
2017 Silvarado, crew cab 1500 6.2L gas w/ 8 speed tranny
central VA
JIM L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #10

Thanks guys! I've got the solenoid. Mid 70's Ford part. $18.. thought that was pretty good. Extending the wires to the breaker so they aren't on a bind. Changing the negative battery terminal as it was old and a little loose. We shall see!
Old 08-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #11

Really quick post.

All electronics are done. New solenoid is registering 13.5 v at the top and on the switch pole while the switch is in the up position. Still humming. On the bottom of the solenoid, it's only registering .5 v... if the motor was stuck, would it still register correct voltage?
Old 08-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzybaby View Post
Really quick post.

All electronics are done. New solenoid is registering 13.5 v at the top and on the switch pole while the switch is in the up position. Still humming. On the bottom of the solenoid, it's only registering .5 v... if the motor was stuck, would it still register correct voltage?
It would probably register low, but I don't think it should be THAT low. Check all the connections, both hot and ground from the battery through the solenoid to the motor. I suspect one of them is not making good contact. (My guess is the motor connections are weak, since you've recently replaced the solenoid and the battery.)

Edit: I think a solenoid will "hum", when energized. You could probably see if it's the source of the sound by putting your hand on it or by listening to it through a stethoscope (which you may not have). You can also place the tip of a screwdriver against potential sound sources and put the handle against your ear, to locate the source of a sound.

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:06 PM   #13

Broken wire between solenoid and motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150806_134432.jpg (261.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzybaby View Post
Broken wire between solenoid and motor.
Cool! I suspect things will work well now!

- Jack
JackandJanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #15

Everything works perfectly! This was actually the first time I heard the "squeal" from the motor. I'm assuming the cable ruptured when we raised it for the first time since 07. Super excited and super relieved!

Thanks for all the help!
Old 08-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #16

Great news!

Amateur Radio K3EXU