Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Hi-Lo camper travel trailer forum > Hi-Lo Tech > Hydraulic lift system
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 04-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

Default Where do I apply lift cable lubricant?

I don't think my cables have ever been lubricated. What do I use and where do I apply it?

Wannafishmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #2

First raise the top all the way up, that will expose as much cable as possible.
You need to clean the cables with a rag to get any dirt and old lubricants cleaned off. While going that you can detect if there are any frayed cable by feeling the rag catching on the cable. It has been recommended here to get Blaster Garage Door Cable Lube because it goes on easily and drys to not attract dirt and grime. It's similar to bicycle chain lube. I got it at Walmart. Spray all the cables and pulleys and wipe off any excess lube. Get what you can from the top by lowering the top a few inches and spraying down on the cable and pulleys from inside.

More important, and most important, is to clean and lube the guide rod that parallels the hydraulic piston. Go to video 34 to see how to do it. http://www.hilotrailerforum.com/f49/...-youtube-1233/

2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #3
Site Team

Just to add to Rich's wisdom, note where the cables attach to the top and with the top raised, remove those top rails (top of the bottom, really!) and then you'll see the top of the cable and pulleys. Lube both the inside and outside of those as well as the pulley center bolt. I also have heard of Blaster, however in aviation, we used "a light penetrating oil". Such as 3-in-1, with a extended wand. That's my nickels worth.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Treeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:57 AM   #4

For the cables and pulleys, any good lubricant should work. I prefer WD-40:

Robot Check

Since you say the cables have never been lubricated, be sure to do as Rich suggested and check for fraying! I use either a white lithium or bearing type grease on the guide rod and exposed area of the hydraulic ram.

This maintenance item is one of the most important things a Hi-Lo owner needs to do!
Luckydog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #5

do you have pics of where they attach
stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker View Post
do you have pics of where they attach
Just look along the bottom edge of the top half. You'll find two on each side of the trailer, towards the front and back.

- Jack
Old 04-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #7
Site Team

After you locate the cables on the outside like Jack said, you go inside and remove the top rail in that area (4 sections for 4 cables). You will see a cable going over a pulley. I put about 6 drops of oil toward the outside of the pulley and drop after drop down the inside until I get bored. If your cautious or slow enough most of that oil will soak into the cables through capillary effect. If they haven't been oiled recently, I'd leave the top rail off and do this again in a few days. Take your time doing the underside and again, do it in a couple of days if they are suspect.
Tree
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 04-07-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
Site Team

PS: You can't get every inch of those cables, so you have to rely on capillary effect.
Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC
Old 04-07-2016, 11:25 PM   #9

What rails are you talking about? I don't see anything inside my trailer that looks like a rail. I can see the cables on the outside when the camper is down through the windows. But when it's up I can't locate anything that looks like it can be taken off to access the cables from the inside.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannafishmore View Post
What rails are you talking about? I don't see anything inside my trailer that looks like a rail. I can see the cables on the outside when the camper is down through the windows. But when it's up I can't locate anything that looks like it can be taken off to access the cables from the inside.
The strip of "wood" trim that is on the top edge of the lower half inside the trailer is held down by a series of screws along its length. You are interested in the ones that run on top of the sides of the trailer, not the end ones. Take them off by removing those screws and you have access to the pulleys that are mounted just under them. It's an easy thing to do, except I have not figured out how to remove the strip that's in the bathroom in my trailer, so I've never been able to get to that pulley.

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:54 PM   #11

Hmm. Thank you. I will take another look tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:28 PM   #12

Update. We looked at the camper today and found the removable rail. All cables have been lubricated. My husband crawled under the camper and lubricated the piston too. So one more thing ticked off the list. Thank you for all your help! BTW everything looked good! Cables are in good condition and piston was rust free!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:55 PM   #13
Site Team

Good on ya! Looks like you'll be ready to take it on the road soon!

- Jack
JackandJanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannafishmore View Post
Update. We looked at the camper today and found the removable rail. All cables have been lubricated. My husband crawled under the camper and lubricated the piston too. So one more thing ticked off the list. Thank you for all your help! BTW everything looked good! Cables are in good condition and piston was rust free!
When you mentioned the piston were you talking about the actual hydraulic piston or the steel guide rod that parallels the piston. The guide rod is the important part that must be cleaned and lubed. Refer back to the video manual that shows the rod.
2012 F150 4X4 SuperCrew EcoBoost w/Leer Cap
Reese WD Strait-Line Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:23 PM   #15

Yes, I know.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 AM   #16

on my 1987 hilo I have a piece of wood with 2 screws the cover the cable and pulley. I take that off and oil the cable and pulley..when up...take you time and let the oil slide down the cable than do under the trailer..dont get any oil in your eyes...enjoy.
paulsot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #17
Site Team

Just cause I worry about those cables, when I have the time, I lube the cables while in the up position, lower it mid way, lube underneath exposed cables then lower all the way and lube again. I feel I get almost all the cable that way. 2X a year. In the aviation community, a light oil applied several times a year, makes its way throughout the cable via capillary effect. Works for me, A paper towel anywhere along the cable shows very light oil.
Tree

Bonita Springs, Fl. &
Andrews, NC