Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Hydraulic lift system Hydraulic, mechanical and electrical components of the lift system

Old 08-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #1

Unhappy Wo'nt go down

I have a 1986? HI_LO that wo'nt go down, I put it up last year and left it up, just put a new battery in it, When I push botton to raise it squeals and takes pressure off the safety rod, but will not go down! HELP!::

bhancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #2

Default Won't go down

Ok, the top will go up but will not come down. Here are some things to get started.

1. Battery: Make sure all battery connections are good and tight.

2. Manual lowering knob on pump: Looks just like the valve on a jack. Turn it clockwise to release pressure on the line and return fluid to the reservoir. Top should lower.

3. Electric lowering valve: Make sure you are getting 12V to the lowering valve. Check fuse in the wire to it. You can jump directly from the + battery terminal to this valve. It will click and the top should lower.

4. The valves in 2. and 3. may be clogged preventing lowering. Run the pump to raise the top while simultaneously opening the lowering valve. This forces fluid thru the valve clearing it.

5. If the above does't work, suspect a bent guide rod or bent cylinder rod jamming and preventing lowering. Get under the trailer and observe while someone else operates. You will see if it is binding or jamming.
Clues to look for: A dirty, corroded or bent guide rod. Clean and grease.
The pulley head should be centered between the cross
members.

6. If 5. happens the only solution is remove and repair the guide rod and cylinder. I know since I just went thru it.

GOOD LUCK ! !

edward lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #3

Also check the safety catch to make sure it is releasing or not bound up in some way.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote